With what velocity did the mug leave the counter?

In summary: DIn summary, a customer at a local bar slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The mug falls off the counter and strikes the floor 1.4m from the base, with the counter's height being 0.860m. The problem is to determine the initial velocity of the mug when it left the counter. Using the GUESS method, the given information includes the height of the counter and the distance the mug falls, while the unknown is the initial velocity. By using the appropriate equations and substituting in the given values, the initial velocity can be solved for. The correct answer was eventually reached with the help of a fellow student, allowing the original student to get some well-deserved rest.
the_storm

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mud, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 1.4m from the base of the counter, If the height of the counter is 0.860m

Homework Equations

a) with what velocity did the mug leave the counter?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a projectile motion problem
I started and put Vy= 0 m/s and Vx= Vi
I put the height as H= 1.4+0.860= 2.26m
from this equation Vf=Vi-gt
I got the time .. t=0.679s
My idea is to ger the distance X in X direction and I have the time of the flying mug
By dividing them I'll get the Vx which equals to the V initial of the mug
I tried to get a relation between Vx and Vy but I failed
can anyone help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
the_storm said:

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mud, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 1.4m from the base of the counter, If the height of the counter is 0.860m

Homework Equations

My idea is to ger the distance X in X direction and I have the time of the flying mug
can anyone help me ?

I think you already answered the question. Yes?

pgardn said:
I think you already answered the question. Yes?

I know this is the answer but how to reach it ,,,?
I am unable to get X in X direction I have only the time so I have an equation in two unknown
I can't get Vx. I have no given ? So is there a way to get it ?

the_storm said:
I know this is the answer but how to reach it ,,,?
I am unable to get X in X direction I have only the time so I have an equation in two unknown
I can't get Vx. I have no given ? So is there a way to get it ?

You have the time its in the air. You have the distance it traveled in the x direction, why can't you get Vx?

pgardn said:
You have the time its in the air. You have the distance it traveled in the x direction, why can't you get Vx?

I don't have the distance traveled in X direction I wish I had it
Do you have a way to get it ?

the_storm said:
I don't have the distance traveled in X direction I wish I had it
Do you have a way to get it ?

You do have it. Read the question again. :biggrin:

Whenever you do these types of problems you might want to do the GUESS method, and its exactly the opposite of a guess...
G - Given: What has been given to you in the problem
U - unknown, what are you trying to solve for
E - equations; which equations do you have in your arsenal
S - substitute; substitute the appropriate givens into the equations you need.
S - Solve for the unknown.

I don't :D
I read it too much
I have only the height in other words the Distance in Y direction which is 1.4+0.86
That all I have.
So what do u think ?

the_storm said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

can anyone help me ?

You have to read these questions carefully sometimes and familiarize yourself with the way they are stated.

another hint... the 0.86 is the distance the mug falls, yes?

So make sure you remove that adding you did to get the time. They give you the distance the mug goes in the horizontal and the vertical. They are separate numbers.

pgardn said:
You have to read these questions carefully sometimes and familiarize yourself with the way they are stated.

You are right
It's solved Thank you bro :)
So I can go and sleep now :) good night
<< he is from Egypt :D

the_storm said:
You are right
It's solved Thank you bro :)
So I can go and sleep now :) good night
<< he is from Egypt :D

Good evening...

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a physical quantity that describes the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. While speed only describes how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction of the movement.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it takes for the object to travel that distance. The standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. Why is it important to know the velocity of the mug leaving the counter?

Knowing the velocity of the mug leaving the counter is important for understanding the energy and force involved in the mug's movement. It can also help determine the distance the mug will travel and the potential impact it may have upon landing.

5. How can the velocity of the mug leaving the counter be measured?

The velocity of the mug leaving the counter can be measured using various methods such as a stopwatch, motion sensors, or video analysis. These methods involve recording the time and distance of the mug's movement and using the formula for velocity to calculate its speed and direction.