Answer: Torque of Swallow on 40 N Rod with 1 m Length

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nirupt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Nirupt
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



James Gomer holding a uniform 40 N rod of length 1 m horizontally with a hinge on its left end and a vertical string on the right end. Now suppose a fully laden swallow with a mass of 2.00 kg lands and squawks loudly on the rod at a point 30.0 cm to the right of the hinge. Now what is the force exerted by the string to keep the rod horizontal?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I figured out that the string with no force exerted on the rod is 20N, so Far I have

Ʃfnet = 2kg*9.8*20(moment arm) - F*20

I don't think I have my setup correct though.. I'm just not visualizing this well
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What point are you taking moments about? List the forces and their orthogonal distances from that point.