Ansys Maxwell 2D Number of turns

In summary, to get the correct magnetic flux you need to multiply current with the number of turns and enter I*N when you are assigning excitation.
tya1010
Hi,

How do you define number of turns in a coil designed to operate at 100 kHz? Maxwell 2D axisymmetric treats the coils as a single conductor, how can we define number of turns. I would appreciate any response.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know Maxwell but in Comsol you simply identify a toroidally shaped shell as being a "coil" and assign N turns plus a current direction (as a cross product orientation) as a property to it. IR losses are determined by the resistivity of the material assigned. The simulator "cheats" and simplifies the B calculation based on circular sheet currents in the structure and multiplies by N.

I'm guessing that Maxwell does something like this.

Thanks for the reply. I actually figured out how to integrate the number of turns (integrate N on the matrix) and maxwell does exactly the same thing with comsol and call it post processing.

Hi tya1010. I'm having the same problem you had (with the difference that I'm using Maxwell3D in magnetostatic mode).
I'm still learning to use this software. Could you elaborate on "integrating the number of turns"? or point me to where you found that information?
Any help with be highly appreciated.

Hi,

To get the correct magnetic flux you need to simply multiply the current with the number of turns and enter I*N when you are assigning excitation. Apart from that for the correct results (for example L) go to parameters and there is two tabs one set up and the other one is postprocessing after you check the box include under set up then under postprocessing tab you can define the number of turns. These are all done on Maxwell 2D so I am not sure if it would work on 3D though.

Makes sense. As far as I can see, It's the same in Maxwell 3D.
Thank you very much!

What is Ansys Maxwell 2D Number of turns?

Ansys Maxwell 2D Number of turns refers to the number of turns or coils in a 2D simulation model created using the Ansys Maxwell software. It is a parameter that can be adjusted to study different coil configurations and their electromagnetic properties.

How is the number of turns determined in Ansys Maxwell 2D?

The number of turns in Ansys Maxwell 2D is determined by the user during the simulation setup process. The software allows the user to specify the number of turns for each coil in the model, and this can be changed at any time during the simulation process.

What is the significance of changing the number of turns in Ansys Maxwell 2D?

Changing the number of turns in Ansys Maxwell 2D can affect the magnetic field distribution, inductance, and other electromagnetic properties of the model. It allows for the study of different coil configurations and their impact on the performance of the device or system being simulated.

Can the number of turns be changed after the simulation has started?

Yes, the number of turns can be changed during the simulation process in Ansys Maxwell 2D. However, any changes made during the simulation will only be applied to the subsequent time steps and will not affect the results of the previous time steps.

Are there any limitations to the number of turns in Ansys Maxwell 2D?

The number of turns in Ansys Maxwell 2D is limited by the capabilities of the software and the computational resources available. The user should consider the limitations of their hardware and the simulation time required when selecting the number of turns for their model.