Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS Maxwell 2D 2dof movement not single line translation

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    Dear all,
    is there anybody knows how to set a 2 degree-of-freedom movement in ANSYS Maxwell 2D transient model? I have two fixed current-excited coils and a free magnet. The magnet should be able to move in a 2D space under the Lorentz forces. However, there are only translation and rotation model in ANSYS Maxwell 2D.... I can specify only single axis of movement but not a 2D free movement.....I would like to see how the magnet moves under the Lorentz forces and how this movement effect the Lorentz forces at the same time. Thank you. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Thank you in advance for answering!!

Best regards,
    Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you so much for your attention.
    I think Maxwell 16 cannot handle the 2D movement in the transient model. I have to use Maxwell magneto-static to generate a Lookup table showing the magnetic force at each position in a 2D plane, and build a model of a dynamic system using Matlab to figure out the movement of the moving object under the magnetic force.Since the magnetic force depends on the location, the Matlab model and the Maxwell model should be coupling. It works, however, generating the lookup table takes quite a long time. I have tried to couple Maxwell to Ansys dynamic model, but cannot figure out how to feed back the transient position to the Maxwell and then generate the real-time magnetic force to the Ansys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook