Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-reflection coating and FULL reflection coatings

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Hello Forum,

to obtain good anti-reflection at one specific wavelength, a layer of the right index of refraction is deposited on a certain surface. The layer thickness must be d=lambda/4...
    This achieves better transmission. If we used multiple layers we would get even better transmission.

What if we wanted to obtain the opposite effect, full reflection at a specific wavelength lambda? How wide would the layer need to be? Simply d=lambda/2?

Thanks
    fisico30

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reflection cannot be made larger than it is with no interface.
    That is, the best interface for maximum reflection is none.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    Hello Meir,

i just found the following: http://www.lamdapacific.com/lamda_admin/Lamda_Edit/UploadFile/2011222112937198.pdf [Broken]

It seems that a certain stack of dielectrics can actually improve the reflection....

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Feb 6, 2012 #4
    May be I don't understand something, but if natural reflectivity of the surface is less than 100 %, you probably can use some cover with the reflectivity higher than that of the surface. With respect to multilayer dielectric mirror, typical reflection coeficient of so called high-reflectivity (HR) mirrors which are used in laser engineering is more than 99.8 % (I've met mirrors with 99.99 %, though at 45 deg of incidence). The layers of a HR mirror usually are deposited on a glass substrate, with typical Fresnel reflectivity of about 4 %.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook