Anti Rotation in Nut with low torque to start with

In summary, the person is looking for a way to stop a nut from coming undone when it is not being torqued up high to start with. They cannot post drawings/images as it is commercially sensitive, and they are looking for a method of doing so. They are considering a nut that has a cam on either side, operated by one lever.
cps.13
Hi,

i'm hoping to get a bit of assistance with stopping a nut from coming un-done if possible.

I have an application using a load cell which is being inserted into metal rod, and then pulled under tension. The load cell is inserted into a hole drilled in the rod and screwed in at the bottom end (loosely). The load cell has an external thread on the other end, which then has a nut placed on it and screwed down 'tight'.

my problem is that I cannot apply large amounts of torque to the load cell as it starts changing the output. But I also need it tight enough so it cannot come undone.

At the moment I have a nyloc nut on the thread (m20x1.5), I have tried using Nordlock washers but couldn't tighten the load cell up enough to get them to work.

the problem is I cannot measure how tight I am doing them up at the moment as I do not have a method of doing so.

But does anybody know of a good method of stopping a nut from coming undone when it isn't torqued up high to start with?

I cannot post drawings/images as its commercially sensitive.

thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Loctite Threadlock

sorry - should have said... it needs to be removable so I cannot "weld" it in using loctite.

Or make a special nut with side screw or side clamp locking .

Consider a nut that has a cam on either side, operated by one lever.
Run the nut down the thread until it first contacts, then swing the lever over to apply the axial force.
There will be very little wear on the thread since there is no pressure while thread turns.

Not all Loctite is non removable.

rbelli1 said:
This? It is something like Baluncore described.
I do not recommend those lockable nuts.
Attached is a picture of a similar concept to my suggestion. But make it an over-centre cam that is big enough to contain the 20mm nut.
quick-release-cam-300x300.jpg

1. What is "anti rotation" in a nut?

Anti rotation refers to a mechanism or feature that prevents a nut from rotating or loosening unintentionally. It is commonly used in applications where vibration or external forces may cause the nut to become loose.

2. How does anti rotation in a nut work?

Anti rotation in a nut is typically achieved through the use of additional components such as a locking washer, a locking pin, or a locking feature on the nut itself. These components create friction or a physical barrier that prevents the nut from rotating.

3. Why is low torque important in anti rotation nuts?

Low torque is important in anti rotation nuts because it allows the nut to be easily rotated during installation, but once tightened, it requires a higher torque to loosen. This helps to ensure that the nut remains securely in place and prevents unintentional loosening.

4. What are the benefits of using anti rotation nuts?

The main benefit of using anti rotation nuts is increased safety and reliability. They are commonly used in critical applications such as aerospace and automotive industries, where loose nuts could have serious consequences. Additionally, anti rotation nuts can also help to reduce maintenance and downtime by preventing loosening and the need for frequent re-tightening.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using anti rotation nuts?

One limitation of using anti rotation nuts is that they may require a specialized tool or additional time for installation compared to regular nuts. Additionally, they may not be suitable for applications with high temperatures or extreme environments, as the locking mechanism may become less effective. It is important to carefully consider the specific application and requirements before selecting an anti rotation nut.