Use a wood screw or a bolt & nut?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice for a simple problem they encountered while trying to create an adjustable platform using wood pieces. They are looking for a way to secure the slotted wood in different positions without having to access the inside of the mounting block. They have considered using an eyelet screw or a thumb screw with a T-nut, but are open to other suggestions. Some potential solutions offered by other users include using a threaded insert or a toothed nut with flanges that grip into the wood.
cmih
I have what I think is probably a simple problem for someone with the right experience. I happened upon this forum while using Google.

The drawing below (not to scale) shows the basic setup. There is wood mounting block. Adjacent to the mounting block is a 1/4" thick piece of wood with a slot down the middle. The slot will allow the piece to be moved to different positions and angles. Attached to the top of the sliding piece is a platform (yellow).

drawing.jpg

The idea is to have an adjusting "knob" or screw that I can tighten to hold the slotted wood in position (against the mounting block). I want to be able to loosen the adjusting knob/screw to change the position of the slotted piece, and then tighten the knob/screw to hold the slotted wood in the new position securely.

The challenge is to find a way to make the screw/bolt stay tight until I loosen it. And I do not want to have to access the inside side of the mounting block when I loosen or tighten the screw/bolt.

When I went to the hardware store there were so many different types of screws and bolts and washers and nuts I could not decide on what to get. Below are a couple of different ways I've thought of to do this.

1. Use an eyelet screw (with wood screw type threads) and screw it into the mounting block, but not all the way through the mounting block. I think the friction between the screw and the wood would be sufficient to keep the screw tight. And, if it starts to loosen, I can just screw the screw further into the mounting block.

2. Drill a hole though the mounting block. Then use a thumb screw (with bolt threads) with a T-nut (hammered into the wood) on the inside side of the mounting block, and have a lock nut superglued to the T-nut. As long as I get the lock nut properly aligned with the T-nut and the superglue holds, it should hold the bolt tight.

I think there must be a better solution than what I've thought of so far, but I don't have much experience with putting things together. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For this idea, I'd use a threaded insert if you want durability. A bolt with a nylong insert nut and a lock washer or jam nut would be a good idea too, if you want holding power when you tighten the handle.

Hello cmih, welcome to Physics Forums.

Since you 'mounting block' is wood I suggest a toothed nut, such as can be obtained from roofing suppliers or good connector suppliers. Some furniture manufacturers also use them.
These are nuts with flanges that have teeth at right angles that grip into the wood.

I also recommend a washer or plate under the knob on the outer side.

go well

Travis_King and Studiot, Thank you both for the suggestions.

1. What is the difference between a wood screw and a bolt & nut?

A wood screw is designed specifically for use in wood, with a tapered shank and sharp point for easy insertion. A bolt & nut, on the other hand, is a fastener that requires both a bolt (a threaded rod with a flat, smooth head) and a nut (a small metal piece with female threads) to secure two objects together.

2. When should I use a wood screw instead of a bolt & nut?

Wood screws are ideal for fastening wood to wood, or for attaching metal or plastic objects to wood. They are also convenient for projects that require a flush finish, as the screw head can be countersunk into the wood. Bolts & nuts, on the other hand, are better suited for heavy-duty applications and can provide a stronger hold.

3. Can I use a bolt & nut on wood?

Technically, yes, you can use a bolt & nut on wood. However, it is not the most efficient or effective option. Bolts & nuts require pre-drilled holes and are not self-tapping like wood screws, making them more difficult to install. Additionally, the threads of a bolt can cause damage to the wood, weakening its structural integrity.

4. Are there different types of wood screws and bolts & nuts?

Yes, there are various types of wood screws and bolts & nuts, each designed for specific purposes. Some common types of wood screws include flat head, round head, and pan head screws. Bolts & nuts also come in different sizes and configurations, such as hex bolts, carriage bolts, and eye bolts.

5. How do I choose the right size wood screw or bolt & nut?

The size of the wood screw or bolt & nut you need will depend on the thickness of the materials you are fastening together. It is important to select a screw or bolt that is long enough to go through the first object and at least halfway into the second object, without protruding too much. The diameter of the screw or bolt will also play a role in its strength, so consult a size chart or seek professional advice for heavy-duty applications.