Modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly

In summary, the conversation discusses using computer modeling to compare stress to hand calculations using the frusta cone method for joint stiffness. The model includes a nylon insert nut, threaded rod, washer, and joint made of three plates. The results using ANSYS 14.5 are not accurate, and the person is asking for help in understanding why. They also question if the threaded rod, washer, nylon insert nut, and threaded member can actually produce a clamping force and provide equations for calculating preload tension and torque.
I am trying to use computer modelling to see stress. I want to compare it to my hand calculation, which uses the frusta cone method to find the stiffness of the joint. This way, I can check my calculation in a conceptual way.

The model includes a nylon insert nut, a threaded rod, a washer and a joint (some people refer to the joint as a member).
I wanted to model these parts as solid for realism.
The member is made of three plates. Only the plate furthest from the washer is threaded.

The results that I get using ANSYS 14.5 are garbage and I cannot understand why (see the attachments for the model, boundary conditions and results). All contacts are set to 'bonded'. There should be a cone of stress, less at the top member, more to the middle, less at the bottom member. Please help.

Here is the model (630 kB):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/50od9jnfx507s8u/model.zip?dl=0
or use:
http://www.filedropper.com/model_3

Will a threaded rod / washer / nylon insert nut / threaded member actually produce a clamping force? Its hard to picture that in my mind.

Does the following equation apply to this situation:

F = 0.75 * Sp

Where F is the preload tension, resulting from the nut being tightened on the threaded rod.
Where Sp is the proof strength of the stud.

T = KDF

Where T is the Torque required to produce the force that clamps the assembly together
Where K is the nut factor
Where F is defined as before.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Boundary conditions.jpg
    Boundary conditions.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 476
  • Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 446
  • mesh.jpg
    mesh.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 460
  • stress.jpg
    stress.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 408
  • flexible.jpg
    flexible.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 407
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the purpose of modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly?

The purpose of modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly is to simulate and analyze the behaviour of the joint under different loading conditions. This allows engineers to design and optimize the joint for maximum strength and durability.

2. What parameters are important to consider when modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly?

The parameters that are important to consider when modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly include the type and size of the threaded rod, the material properties of the joint, nut, and washer, the torque applied to the nut, and the applied load on the joint.

3. What are the different types of joint configurations that can be modelled?

The different types of joint configurations that can be modelled include single shear joint, double shear joint, lap joint, butt joint, and tension joint. Each configuration has its own unique properties and is suitable for different applications.

4. What software is commonly used for modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly?

Some commonly used software for modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly include SolidWorks, ANSYS, and AutoCAD. These software have advanced simulation capabilities that allow for accurate analysis of the joint behaviour.

5. How can the results from the joint modelling be used in the design process?

The results from the joint modelling can be used to make informed decisions regarding the design of the joint. Engineers can use the data to optimize the dimensions and materials used in the joint for maximum strength and durability. The results can also help in identifying potential failure points and making necessary design modifications.