Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modelling a joint in a threaded rod, joint, nut and washer assembly

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    I am trying to use computer modelling to see stress. I want to compare it to my hand calculation, which uses the frusta cone method to find the stiffness of the joint. This way, I can check my calculation in a conceptual way.

The model includes a nylon insert nut, a threaded rod, a washer and a joint (some people refer to the joint as a member).
    I wanted to model these parts as solid for realism.
    The member is made of three plates. Only the plate furthest from the washer is threaded.

The results that I get using ANSYS 14.5 are garbage and I cannot understand why (see the attachments for the model, boundary conditions and results). All contacts are set to 'bonded'. There should be a cone of stress, less at the top member, more to the middle, less at the bottom member. Please help.

Here is the model (630 kB):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/50od9jnfx507s8u/model.zip?dl=0
    or use:
    http://www.filedropper.com/model_3 [Broken]

Will a threaded rod / washer / nylon insert nut / threaded member actually produce a clamping force? Its hard to picture that in my mind.

Does the following equation apply to this situation:

F = 0.75 * Sp

Where F is the preload tension, resulting from the nut being tightened on the threaded rod.
    Where Sp is the proof strength of the stud.

T = KDF

Where T is the Torque required to produce the force that clamps the assembly together
    Where K is the nut factor
    Where F is defined as before.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook