Anticommutation Example: Solving for Operator p in Relation to Variable q"

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary: But in fermionic system this is not the case because there is no commutator between the partial derivative operators and the creation and annihilation operators. So explicit representation becomes necessary.
jostpuur
If I have a variable [tex]q[/tex], and think of it as an operator, and want to postulate another operator [tex]p[/tex] so that it satisfies a commutation relation [tex][q,p]=i\hbar[/tex], a definition [tex]p=-i\hbar\partial_q[/tex] will do this. If I instead wanted an anticommutation relation [tex]\{q,p\}=i\hbar[/tex], what would be an example of such [tex]p[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that [tex]p=i\hbar/(2q)[/tex] would do the job, but it looks horrible. Nobody wants operator like that... :confused:

In elementary quantum mechancs, I believe [itex]\hat{q}=q\times[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}=-i\hbar\frac{d}{dq}[/itex] is merely a representation (the position representation) of the coordinate and momentum operators that satisfies the commutation relations. There's also the momentum representation which defines the coordinate and momentum differently, but still satisfies the commutation relations. The physics should only depend on the commutation relations; explicit representations provide a way to make calculations and give us an intuitive picture of what's going on.

That didn't answer your question, but helps you formalize your request: you are looking for an explicit representation for [itex]\hat{q}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] that satisfies anticommutation relations.

An illustrative excercise to elaborate on your own is a connection between a bosonic field and a fermionic field, by transforming the klein-gordon equation into a fermionic equation (dirac equation), by trading away higher order dynamics. Try to interpret the dirac equation in terms of klein gordon.

Then you can identify the pauli and gamma matrices that are anticommuting.

/Fredrik

Another related question: Have you ever seen Klein-Gordon field being quantized so that the Fourier modes of the conjugate field [tex]\Pi(\boldsymbol{p})[/tex] get replaced with derivative operators [tex]-i\hbar(2\pi\hbar)^3\delta^3(0)\partial_{\phi(\boldsymbol{p})}[/tex]? (The strange constant isn't necessarely correct, but that's what I got.) That derivative operator is supposed to operate on the wave functional of the field. I have seen this... so far only in my own notes.

Then you can identify the pauli and gamma matrices that are anticommuting.

Anticommutations of the gamma matrices are not what I was after. I'm struggling with the anticommutations of the dirac field operators [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]\psi^\dagger[/tex] themselves.

I understand that it is possible to have a theory of operators without explicit representations available for them, but these representations would be nice to have.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
but these representations would be nice to have.
for a single fermionic oscillator the creation and annihilation operators can be written down explicitly as two by two matrices... this is much neater than the matrices of the analogous bosonic oscillator operators which are infinite dimensional...tho also pretty easily written down...

For the fermionic operators we have:
[tex]
a_{11}=a_{21}=a_{22}=0\quad a_{12}=1
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a^{\dagger}_{11}=a^{\dagger}_{12}=a^{\dagger}_{22}=0\quad a^{\dagger}_{21}=1\;.
[/tex]
these operators satisfy
[tex]
\left\{a,a^{\dagger}\right\}=1
[/tex]

olgranpappy said:
for a single fermionic oscillator the creation and annihilation operators can be written down explicitly as two by two matrices... this is much neater than the matrices of the analogous bosonic oscillator operators which are infinite dimensional...tho also pretty easily written down...

For the fermionic operators we have:
[tex]
a_{11}=a_{21}=a_{22}=0\quad a_{12}=1
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a^{\dagger}_{11}=a^{\dagger}_{12}=a^{\dagger}_{22}=0\quad a^{\dagger}_{21}=1\;.
[/tex]
these operators satisfy
[tex]
\left\{a,a^{\dagger}\right\}=1
[/tex]

This seems to fine for a one dimensional system, but if we want this kind of operators [tex]a_p[/tex] and [tex]a_p^\dagger[/tex] for each fixed [tex]p\in\mathbb{R}^3[/tex], as is the case for fields, and also want to have [tex]a_p a_{p'}= -a_{p'} a_p[/tex] (and the same for conjugates) for [tex]p\neq p'[/tex], then explicit representation seems to be more difficult again?

In bosonic system large number of dimensions doesn't bring any difficulty because partial derivative operators commute still.

Related to Anticommutation Example: Solving for Operator p in Relation to Variable q"

1. What is anticommutation in relation to solving for operator p and variable q?

Anticommutation is a mathematical operation that involves exchanging the order of two variables while taking the negative of the result. In the context of solving for operator p in relation to variable q, it means that the order in which the two variables are multiplied matters and the result will be different depending on the order.

2. How do you solve for operator p in relation to variable q using anticommutation?

The anticommutation example for solving for operator p in relation to variable q involves setting up an equation where p and q are multiplied in a specific order. Then, using the anticommutation rule, the order of the variables is exchanged, and the negative of the result is taken. This new equation can then be rearranged to solve for p.

3. Why is anticommutation important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, anticommutation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles with spin, which cannot be described using classical physics. The anticommutation relation between spin operators is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of fermions, such as electrons.

4. Can anticommutation be used to solve for other operators besides p in relation to q?

Yes, anticommutation can be used to solve for other operators besides p in relation to q. It is a general mathematical operation that can be applied to any two variables. In quantum mechanics, it is commonly used to solve for operators such as angular momentum and energy in relation to other variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using anticommutation in solving for operators?

There are some limitations to using anticommutation in solving for operators. It can only be applied to operators that have a specific type of relationship, known as a commutation relation. Also, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for solving certain problems, and other mathematical techniques may be more suitable.