Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Antiderivative of 6e^x and 4x^2

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    antiderivative of 6e^x and 4x^2

--> 6e^x
    -->1/6e^x??

--> 4x^2
    --> 2x^3??

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    Could you tell the steps you followed to find anti-derivative of [itex] 4x^2 [/itex] and how you got the answer.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    4x^2:
    One of the teachers said today to add one to the power, and divide whats out front by what the power was. So 4/2 = 2, and 2 + 1 = 3..

5. May 24, 2010 #4
    Oh no! As far as adding one to the power is ok, but could you re-call correctly what has been told about the divisor.
    You can refer to standard integrals in the PF library to know the integration of [itex] x^n [/itex].

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    Ok I think I figured it out. Thanks heaps for helping anyway. Don't know what my teacher was talking about but!! Still don't know the 6e^x one but..

7. May 24, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The derivative of Cf(x), where C is a constant, is Cf'(x) so [itex](6e^x)'= 6(e^x)'[/itex]. Do you know what the derivative of [itex]e^x[/itex] is?

8. May 24, 2010 #7
    It's just itself. So the whole thing is just the same? It's still just 6e^x..?

9. May 24, 2010 #8
    Yes. Remember what happens when you derive something with a constant in front of it? You pull the constant out:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} 6e^{x}[/tex]
    [tex]6\frac{d}{dx} e^{x}[/tex]
    [tex]6(e^{x})[/tex]

The function exdoesn't change when you derive it unless you have something other than x in the exponent and have to use the chain rule.

10. May 24, 2010 #9
    don't forget your constant of integration, but yes.

11. May 24, 2010 #10
    My bad.

[tex]\int{6e^{x}} dx =6\int{e^{x}} dx = 6e^{x} + c[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook