1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative of 6e^x and 4x^2

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    antiderivative of 6e^x and 4x^2

--> 6e^x
    -->1/6e^x??

--> 4x^2
    --> 2x^3??

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    Could you tell the steps you followed to find anti-derivative of [itex] 4x^2 [/itex] and how you got the answer.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    4x^2:
    One of the teachers said today to add one to the power, and divide whats out front by what the power was. So 4/2 = 2, and 2 + 1 = 3..

5. May 24, 2010 #4
    Oh no! As far as adding one to the power is ok, but could you re-call correctly what has been told about the divisor.
    You can refer to standard integrals in the PF library to know the integration of [itex] x^n [/itex].

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    Ok I think I figured it out. Thanks heaps for helping anyway. Don't know what my teacher was talking about but!! Still don't know the 6e^x one but..

7. May 24, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The derivative of Cf(x), where C is a constant, is Cf'(x) so [itex](6e^x)'= 6(e^x)'[/itex]. Do you know what the derivative of [itex]e^x[/itex] is?

8. May 24, 2010 #7
    It's just itself. So the whole thing is just the same? It's still just 6e^x..?

9. May 24, 2010 #8
    Yes. Remember what happens when you derive something with a constant in front of it? You pull the constant out:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} 6e^{x}[/tex]
    [tex]6\frac{d}{dx} e^{x}[/tex]
    [tex]6(e^{x})[/tex]

The function exdoesn't change when you derive it unless you have something other than x in the exponent and have to use the chain rule.

10. May 24, 2010 #9
    don't forget your constant of integration, but yes.

11. May 24, 2010 #10
    My bad.

[tex]\int{6e^{x}} dx =6\int{e^{x}} dx = 6e^{x} + c[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook