Antiderivative of Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument

In summary, the antiderivative for ##R<0## is a constant, and for ##R\geq 0## it is given by ##(R+x)\Theta(R+x) + 2R\Theta(x-R) + C##. By analyzing the behavior of the function at ##x=-R## and ##x=+R##, we can confirm that this is indeed the correct antiderivative. To simplify the calculation, we can rewrite ##\Theta(R-|x|)## as ##\Theta(R+x) - \Theta(x-R)##.
schniefen
Homework Statement
Find the antiderivative of ##\Theta (R-|x|)##, where ##\Theta## is the Heaviside step function and ##R## is a given constant.
Relevant Equations
The derivative of ##\Theta## is the Dirac delta function ##\delta## and ##\frac{x}{|x|}=\Theta(x) -\Theta(-x)##.
For ##R<0##, the antiderivative is just a constant, since then ##R-|x|## is negative for all values of ##x##, which in turn implies ##\Theta(R-|x|)## is zero for all values of ##x##. For ##R\geq 0##, and by inspection apparently, the antiderivative is

##(R+x)\Theta(R-|x|)+2R\Theta(x-R)+C.##
I'd like to confirm this is really the antiderivative by computing the derivative. I get

##-R\frac{x}{|x|}\delta(R-|x|)+\Theta(R-|x|)-x \frac{x}{|x|}\delta(R-|x|)+2R\delta(x-R).##
Using the identity ##\frac{x}{|x|}=\Theta(x) -\Theta(-x)##, one can simplify further

##-R\Theta(x)\delta(R-|x|)+R\Theta(-x)\delta(R-|x|)+\Theta(R-|x|)-x \Theta(x)\delta(R-|x|)+x \Theta(-x)\delta(R-|x|)+2R\delta(x-R).##
This should be possible to simplify even further, although I am stuck here. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
schniefen said:
For ##R\geq 0##, and by inspection apparently, the antiderivative is

##(R+x)\Theta(R-|x|)+2R\Theta(x-R)+C.##
I'd like to confirm this is really the antiderivative by computing the derivative. I get

##-R\frac{x}{|x|}\delta(R-|x|)+\Theta(R-|x|)-x \frac{x}{|x|}\delta(R-|x|)+2R\delta(x-R).##​
I suppose you can get the calculation to work out, but I think it's easier to analyze what the function is doing at ##x=-R## and ##x=+R##. That way, you don't have to deal with the complications from the absolute value.

In the neighborhood of ##x=-R##, the antiderivative is ##(x+R)\Theta(x+R)+C##, so its derivative is ##\Theta(x+R) + (x+R)\delta(x+R)##, which simplifies to ##\Theta(x+R)##. In the neighborhood of ##x=+R##, the antiderivative is ##(x+R)\Theta(R-x)+2R\Theta(x-R)##. Its derivative is ##\Theta(R-x) - (x+R)\delta(R-x) + 2R \delta(x-R)##, which simplifies to ##\Theta(R-x)##.

So the derivative goes from 0 to 1 at ##x=-R## and from 1 to 0 at ##x=+R##, which is exactly the function you started with in this problem.

Likes schniefen
I suggest rewriting ##\Theta(R-|x|) = \Theta(R+x) - \Theta(x-R)## and work from there.

Likes schniefen

1. What is the definition of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument?

The Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative values of its argument and 1 for positive values of its argument.

2. What is the antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument?

The antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument is the ramp function, which is defined as the integral of the Heaviside function with absolute-value-argument.

3. How is the antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument used in real-world applications?

The antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument is commonly used in engineering and physics to model the behavior of systems that have a sudden change in their output. It can also be used to calculate the total area under a curve.

4. Can the antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument be simplified?

Yes, the antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument can be simplified to a piecewise function, where the value of the function changes at the point of discontinuity.

5. How is the antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument related to the derivative of the Heaviside step function?

The antiderivative of the Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument is the inverse operation of the derivative of the Heaviside step function. This means that if we take the derivative of the antiderivative, we will get back the original Heaviside step function with absolute-value-argument.