1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Antiderivative of a function problem

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]$g(x)=\int _{2 }^{\sin x}\sqrt{1- t^2}dt$[/tex]
    whats g'(x)...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    how to find the antiderivative of sqrt(1-t^2)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Try t=sin(u) or t=cos(u)

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I have edited your formula slightly so that it now shows g(x), not just (x). You had extra $ characters that shouldn't have been there.
    Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find g'(x). You will also need the chain rule since your integral isn't strictly a function of just x, but is a function of sin(x).

5. Jan 9, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Slimsta! :smile:
    Just to add to what Mark44 :smile: says …

the beauty of using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is that you don't need to know the antiderivative. :wink:

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The problem does not ask you to find the anti-derivative nor is it necessary.
    Letting y= sin(x), this is
    [tex]g(y)=\int_2^y \sqrt{1- t^2} dt[/itex]
    You can find dg/dy directly from the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" and then use the chain rule to find dg/dx.

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6
    okay, that make sense but what if i have a function like this:
    [tex]$\int _{3\pi /4}^{\pi }(3 \sec ^2x -\frac{6 }{\pi })dx$ [/tex]

this is confusing me :S

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7
    That's a definite integral, so that gives you the signed area between the limits of integration, or just a number. What's the derivative of a constant?

A variable (other than x since x would be the dummy variable) in either of the limits of integration would make it a function.

9. Jan 11, 2010 #8
    hh i already figured that out.. i just took out the 3 and then it becomes tanx - 2/pi x and then its easy..

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook