Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Antiderivative of (x^2 + 4x)^(1/3)

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    If f is the function defined by f(x) = (x^2 + 4x)^(1/3) and g is an antiderivative of f such that g(5) = 7 then g(1) =

I thought that I need to find the antiderivative of f but it turns out that it's really messy so I'm not sure, is there something I'm missing to be able to solve for g(1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2
    You were on the right track. Find the anti derivative G, and add a constant, C. (Do you know why?) Now choose C such that G(5) = 7. Then find G(1) using the antiderivative plus the C you just found.

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You already KNOW that g is an anti-derivative of f!
    Now, how can you therefore represent g(1) in terms of g(5) and a definite integral of f?

5. Mar 28, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you want a numerical answer or would g(1)= a formula be sufficient? I think that is what arildno is saying.

6. Mar 28, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Agreed:
    I can't see any obvious way to evaluate the definite integral other than through numerical integration.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook