1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative of (x^2 + 4x)^(1/3)

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    If f is the function defined by f(x) = (x^2 + 4x)^(1/3) and g is an antiderivative of f such that g(5) = 7 then g(1) =

I thought that I need to find the antiderivative of f but it turns out that it's really messy so I'm not sure, is there something I'm missing to be able to solve for g(1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2
    You were on the right track. Find the anti derivative G, and add a constant, C. (Do you know why?) Now choose C such that G(5) = 7. Then find G(1) using the antiderivative plus the C you just found.

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You already KNOW that g is an anti-derivative of f!
    Now, how can you therefore represent g(1) in terms of g(5) and a definite integral of f?

5. Mar 28, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you want a numerical answer or would g(1)= a formula be sufficient? I think that is what arildno is saying.

6. Mar 28, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Agreed:
    I can't see any obvious way to evaluate the definite integral other than through numerical integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?