Antiderivative of (x^2 + 4x)^(1/3)

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Antiderivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
jesuslovesu
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
If f is the function defined by f(x) = (x^2 + 4x)^(1/3) and g is an antiderivative of f such that g(5) = 7 then g(1) =

I thought that I need to find the antiderivative of f but it turns out that it's really messy so I'm not sure, is there something I'm missing to be able to solve for g(1)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You were on the right track. Find the anti derivative G, and add a constant, C. (Do you know why?) Now choose C such that G(5) = 7. Then find G(1) using the antiderivative plus the C you just found.
 
You already KNOW that g is an anti-derivative of f!
Now, how can you therefore represent g(1) in terms of g(5) and a definite integral of f?
 
Do you want a numerical answer or would g(1)= a formula be sufficient? I think that is what arildno is saying.
 
Agreed:
I can't see any obvious way to evaluate the definite integral other than through numerical integration.