Antimatter Propulsion: Exploring Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of antimatter and normal matter collisions for space flight. It touches on the issue of mass conservation and the amount of antimatter required for such a reaction. However, storing and creating significant amounts of antimatter is currently not feasible. The LHC at CERN is mentioned as a possible source, but it is not used for storing antiparticles. The book "Mirror Matter" is suggested as further reading on this topic.
kieyard
hello everyone, i wasn't sure what category this should go under so General Physics was the safest bet.

to my understanding when antimatter and normal matter collides its a 100% conversion into light, is this correct?

if so, the conservation of mass says all the mass that was originally there is still there but instead of few atoms of antimatter and matter it is now millions upon billions of photons, is that also right?

if so, in the future, near or far i don;t know, could we perhaps have a controlled reaction between the two in a engine of sorts that then directs these photons in a single direction using mirrors to achieve space flight?
using the momentum equation m1v1=m2v2 if we wanted to get one ton to achieve escape velocity (11,000 m/s) we would need 19 grams of antimatter and another 19 grams of matter. because 1000(a ton in kg)*11000(escape velocity)=3*108(speed of light / speed mass will be traveling after reaction)*0.0367(amount of mass needed to balance equation)

there's definitely something I am missing, i know its hard to create and store antimatter and even harder to make something which can do what I am asking but i feel as if i would of heard something somewhere if a project like this was in development, there's got to be a reason why it isn't, any details or information on this would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kieyard said:
to my understanding when antimatter and normal matter collides its a 100% conversion into light, is this correct?
Not necessarily - it depends on the type of matter and the way they meet. Proton/antiproton (or in general hadron/hadron) collisions produce muons and neutrinos as well.
kieyard said:
if so, the conservation of mass says all the mass that was originally there is still there but instead of few atoms of antimatter and matter it is now millions upon billions of photons, is that also right?
That depends on the way you define "mass".
kieyard said:
if so, in the future, near or far i don;t know, could we perhaps have a controlled reaction between the two in a engine of sorts that then directs these photons in a single direction using mirrors to achieve space flight?
There are no proper gamma ray mirrors, but something along this line could be possible, yes.

The amount of antimatter needed depends on the mass of the spacecraft .
kieyard said:
there's definitely something I am missing, i know its hard to create and store antimatter and even harder to make something which can do what I am asking but i feel as if i would of heard something somewhere if a project like this was in development, there's got to be a reason why it isn't, any details or information on this would be great, thanks.
All the antimatter created in the last decades wouldn't lift your rocket even by a centimeter. There is no realistic way to produce or store grams of antimatter in the near future. CERN experiments can store about 10-18 grams of (neutral) antimatter, that is 19 orders of magnitude below your numbers.

Likes berkeman
iv read before that anti matter / positrons to be precise are used in medical PET and are produced by radioactive decay. what do you know of this and could we not gather it from this process rather than the LHC at CERN?

kieyard said:
iv read before that anti matter / positrons to be precise are used in medical PET and are produced by radioactive decay. what do you know of this and could we not gather it from this process rather than the LHC at CERN?
To expect this to be a practical solution presupposes that a suitable 'bottle' could be made that would use substantially less energy to store this antimatter until it needed to be used, than the energy available from the 'drive'. It would be along the lines of using superconductors for power transmission in the absence of room temperature superconductors.

Collecting positrons from radioactive decays would be possible, but even more inefficient than particle accelerator generated antimatter.
Positrons all have a positive charge - as soon as you try to store relevant amounts of them the electrostatic repulsion becomes to strong. To store larger amounts, you would need positrons and antiprotons to form neutral hydrogen. The record is somewhere in the range of 1000 atoms over less than an hour. Far away from practical amounts.

While the LHC produces antiparticles, those are not stored. The antiproton experiments at CERN use the smaller PS and SPS accelerators.

1. What is antimatter propulsion and how does it work?

Antimatter propulsion is a theoretical method of space propulsion that uses antimatter to generate thrust. Antimatter is the opposite of normal matter, with the same mass but opposite electrical charge. When matter and antimatter collide, they annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy. In antimatter propulsion, this energy is harnessed to produce thrust by ejecting the particles created from the annihilation out of the back of the spacecraft.

2. What are the potential benefits of using antimatter propulsion?

Antimatter propulsion has the potential to greatly increase spacecraft speed and reduce travel time, as it produces much more energy than traditional rocket fuels. It also has a higher specific impulse, meaning it can generate more thrust with less propellant. This could make it a more efficient and cost-effective method of space travel.

3. What are the challenges and limitations of antimatter propulsion?

One of the main challenges of antimatter propulsion is the production and storage of antimatter. Antimatter is extremely rare and difficult to produce, making it expensive and time-consuming. It also requires advanced technology and specialized equipment to store and handle it safely. Another limitation is the small amount of antimatter that can be produced, meaning it may only be feasible for short-distance space travel.

4. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with using antimatter propulsion?

There are potential risks and dangers associated with using antimatter propulsion, as it involves handling a highly volatile and powerful substance. Any mishandling or malfunction could result in a catastrophic explosion. Additionally, there are concerns about the environmental impact of using antimatter, as it could potentially create harmful radiation in the atmosphere.

5. Is antimatter propulsion currently being used for space travel?

No, antimatter propulsion is still in the early stages of research and development. While there have been successful experiments and demonstrations of antimatter production and storage, it has not yet been used for space travel. Scientists and engineers are still working on overcoming the challenges and limitations of this technology before it can be implemented for practical use.