1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Anton or Stewart

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    Which text book is the best for high school students??
    anton calculus or stewart calculus?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Neither

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    why??:wideeyed:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. Apr 16, 2015 #4
    I used Stewart's when I started, so I'd say that one. Never heard of Anton, but I'm assuming they're similar.

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Because both books are awful. I don't know any worse math books than those. There are so many better calculus texts than those.

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6
    Hmm stewart isn't bad. A bit hand wavy, but it is readable. I would use thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed in conjuction with an older version of stewart. Those books supplement each other nicely. Thomas lacks many visuals (the visuals it does have are excellent), so for a self study class having more geometric visuals can be helpful. Thomas has overall better explanations than stewart. However, stewart explains the chain rule, epsilon delta, and 2 more minor topics better than thomas. Thomas shines in explaining what a derivative is, integral concept, related rates, optimization, solids of revolution etc.

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7

reenmachine

Gold Member

I would suggest Lang a first course in calculus.I learned calculus from scratch with this book and it was a very fluid read.I skipped the first part of the book and started with the Differentiation section.

I tried to learn calculus with a more rigorous book (Nitecki) at first but I eventually lost sight of the forest for the trees.

Just my experience though, everybody has different abilities and learning style.But I would recommend Lang's book.

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I second this recommendation, a very good book. His multivariable calculus book (Calculus of Several Variables) is also excellent. Both books are very clear and well organized, with good arguments to explain why things are true but without becoming too bogged down in rigorous technicalities. And they are not full of unnecessary junk (computer graphics and endlessly repetitive drill problems) like most modern calculus books.

10. Apr 17, 2015 #9
  11. Apr 17, 2015 #10
    Although I typically like Lang's book, I would not recommend it for a high school student.Yes, it is an excellent book,however, Lang's books tend to not have enough exercise to reinforce material. Lang should be use in conjunction with another text. Have you seen Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed? Copies an be had under 10 dollars. Heck, even a 5th edition of Stewart is 4 dollars shipped. I would get all 3.

12. Apr 17, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I disagree. Lang has enough exercises to understand the material and to reinforce it. I think Lang's book alone is definitely enough for a first course. Rubbish books like Stewart, Anton or Thomas are not necessary. Besides, a smart student can always make his own exercises, they're not so difficult to construct since they're basically always the same thing.

13. Apr 17, 2015 #12
    The Older editions of Thomas are not rubbish. The newer editions are nothing like the older versions. It is entirely a different book. Do you own the third edition with analytical geometry? Wondering why you think this a terrible mathbook. It gets Mathwonk seal of approval.

14. Apr 17, 2015 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And I don't agree with everything mathwonk says.

15. Apr 17, 2015 #14
    You havnt answered the question. Have you worked, read, taught out of and older version of Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry?

16. Apr 17, 2015 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. I didn't like the book.

17. Apr 17, 2015 #16
    please tell me where can i find these (many better calculus texts)??PLEASE.

18. Apr 17, 2015 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Lang calculus is the best text you could wish for when first learning calculus. I don't think the number of exercises is a problem, but if it is a problem for you, then you could always supplement it with a different book, or with an exercise book like Schaum's outline.
    Also see the last post of https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  19. Apr 17, 2015 #18
    thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  20. Apr 19, 2015 #19
    now i have lang calculus.
    thank you my friends.:smile:

21. Apr 19, 2015 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please, do keep us informed on how you like it (or not)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted