Anton or Stewart

Which text book is the best for high school students??
anton calculus or stewart calculus?

Answers and Replies

Neither

I used Stewart's when I started, so I'd say that one. Never heard of Anton, but I'm assuming they're similar.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
why??:wideeyed:
Because both books are awful. I don't know any worse math books than those. There are so many better calculus texts than those.

Hmm stewart isn't bad. A bit hand wavy, but it is readable. I would use thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed in conjuction with an older version of stewart. Those books supplement each other nicely. Thomas lacks many visuals (the visuals it does have are excellent), so for a self study class having more geometric visuals can be helpful. Thomas has overall better explanations than stewart. However, stewart explains the chain rule, epsilon delta, and 2 more minor topics better than thomas. Thomas shines in explaining what a derivative is, integral concept, related rates, optimization, solids of revolution etc.

reenmachine
Gold Member
I would suggest Lang a first course in calculus.I learned calculus from scratch with this book and it was a very fluid read.I skipped the first part of the book and started with the Differentiation section.

I tried to learn calculus with a more rigorous book (Nitecki) at first but I eventually lost sight of the forest for the trees.

Just my experience though, everybody has different abilities and learning style.But I would recommend Lang's book.

Likes MyWrathAcademia
jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I would suggest Lang a first course in calculus.
I second this recommendation, a very good book. His multivariable calculus book (Calculus of Several Variables) is also excellent. Both books are very clear and well organized, with good arguments to explain why things are true but without becoming too bogged down in rigorous technicalities. And they are not full of unnecessary junk (computer graphics and endlessly repetitive drill problems) like most modern calculus books.

I second this recommendation, a very good book. His multivariable calculus book (Calculus of Several Variables) is also excellent. Both books are very clear and well organized, with good arguments to explain why things are true but without becoming too bogged down in rigorous technicalities. And they are not full of unnecessary junk (computer graphics and endlessly repetitive drill problems) like most modern calculus books.
Although I typically like Lang's book, I would not recommend it for a high school student.Yes, it is an excellent book,however, Lang's books tend to not have enough exercise to reinforce material. Lang should be use in conjunction with another text. Have you seen Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed? Copies an be had under 10 dollars. Heck, even a 5th edition of Stewart is 4 dollars shipped. I would get all 3.

Although I typically like Lang's book, I would not recommend it for a high school student.Yes, it is an excellent book,however, Lang's books tend to not have enough exercise to reinforce material. Lang should be use in conjunction with another text. Have you seen Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed? Copies an be had under 10 dollars. Heck, even a 5th edition of Stewart is 4 dollars shipped. I would get all 3.
I disagree. Lang has enough exercises to understand the material and to reinforce it. I think Lang's book alone is definitely enough for a first course. Rubbish books like Stewart, Anton or Thomas are not necessary. Besides, a smart student can always make his own exercises, they're not so difficult to construct since they're basically always the same thing.

I disagree. Lang has enough exercises to understand the material and to reinforce it. I think Lang's book alone is definitely enough for a first course. Rubbish books like Stewart, Anton or Thomas are not necessary. Besides, a smart student can always make his own exercises, they're not so difficult to construct since they're basically always the same thing.
The Older editions of Thomas are not rubbish. The newer editions are nothing like the older versions. It is entirely a different book. Do you own the third edition with analytical geometry? Wondering why you think this a terrible mathbook. It gets Mathwonk seal of approval.

The Older editions of Thomas are not rubbish. The newer editions are nothing like the older versions. It is entirely a different book. Do you own the third edition with analytical geometry? Wondering why you think this a terrible mathbook. It gets Mathwonk seal of approval.
And I don't agree with everything mathwonk says.

You havnt answered the question. Have you worked, read, taught out of and older version of Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry?

Yes. I didn't like the book.

Because both books are awful. I don't know any worse math books than those. There are so many better calculus texts than those.
please tell me where can i find these (many better calculus texts)??PLEASE.

please tell me where can i find these (many better calculus texts)??PLEASE.
Lang calculus is the best text you could wish for when first learning calculus. I don't think the number of exercises is a problem, but if it is a problem for you, then you could always supplement it with a different book, or with an exercise book like Schaum's outline.
Also see the last post of https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes MyWrathAcademia and Emmanuel_Euler
Lang calculus is the best text you could wish for when first learning calculus. I don't think the number of exercises is a problem, but if it is a problem for you, then you could always supplement it with a different book, or with an exercise book like Schaum's outline.
Also see the last post of https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/ [Broken]
thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
now i have lang calculus.
thank you my friends.:smile:

now i have lang calculus.
thank you my friends.:smile:
Please, do keep us informed on how you like it (or not)!

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
I like it.
thank you so much micromass.and all who helped me.

Dear Emmanuel_Euler,

I do not know if this is already too late, but "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons is also extremely good book, even better than Serge Lang's A First Course in Calculus (I own them both). Simmons's book gives very clear explanation, both theoretical and intuitive approaches, and wide range of problems to increase the understanding; it also covers both single-variable and multi-variable calculus. Although one biggest advantage is its price, I strongly think the contents of the book stands more than its price. I recommend you to check this book out!

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Dear Emmanuel_Euler,

I do not know if this is already too late, but "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons is also extremely good book, even better than Serge Lang's A First Course in Calculus (I own them both). Simmons's book gives very clear explanation, both theoretical and intuitive approaches, and wide range of problems to increase the understanding; it also covers both single-variable and multi-variable calculus. Although one biggest advantage is its price, I strongly think the contents of the book stands more than its price. I recommend you to check this book out!
Simmons is a very good writer. I have not yet seen his calculus book, but (judging from his other books), it would indeed be quite nice.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Dear Emmanuel_Euler,

it is not a problem . next month i will buy it.:wink:

it is not a problem . next month i will buy it.:wink:
Will you finish reading a big book like Langs in a month? I would be impressed if you did because it would take me 3 months to read a book of around 1000 pages.