1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any advice on buying a new digital Camera?

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Hey yall. I live in north of Boston and I am headinf down to West Palm Beach Florida for a long overdue vacation with my girlfriend. I have a kodak easy share that is a little clunky since is a few years old. It is a 5 MP and it takes decent shots.

I am looking for something slimmer that can fit in my pocket that takes pics that are similar in quality. I think Sony makes a 'slimshot' or 'cybershot' or something like that.

Anyone have something that sounds like what I am looking for? How do you like it?

Just looking for some feedback on some cameras that some of you might own.

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    Not going to make the jump to a digital SLR? [Canon Rebel XTi]

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The most important thing, IMO, is looking at the camera's lag time between pressing the shutter release and when the picture is taken. From what I have read and experienced, that time is mostly a function of how long it takes the camera to update its CCD. I just replaced my Nikon Coolpix because of just that reason.No matter what mode I was shooting in, the lag times were horrible. I went to a digital SLR and I am never going back. That being said, my wife has a small Olympus point and shoot that is small but has a nice sized screen. It kicks but for a point and shoot.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/stylus_800-review/

6. Mar 6, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I love my Sony Cybershot. I have last years' 7mp version.

7. Mar 7, 2008 #6
  8. Mar 7, 2008 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

My wife is a pretty sharp shutterbug and she tolerated our first point and shoot for some nanoseconds before going back to SLR. Its unavoidably larger and more $ but a few blurred pics on the point and shoot of something you care about makes the point. SLR eliminates the lag.

9. Mar 8, 2008 #8
    I'd say go with a Canon. The ELF (sp?) are a nice series as are the powershots.

10. Mar 8, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shutterlag and power on time ( how long after awitching it on can you take a pitcure) are the most important.
    If you travel a lot battery type is also important, if it can take AA batteries you can buy them anywhere or carry lots of rechargeables - if it takes a custom Li-Ion battery you are forced to carry the charger or docking station with you everywhere.

11. Mar 8, 2008 #10
    Yes, but the Li Ions are really nice and seem to hold charge much longer. I only have to recharge my Olympus Evolt E-500 (DSLR) every few months and that is with fair usage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?