Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any advice on buying a new digital Camera?

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Hey yall. I live in north of Boston and I am headinf down to West Palm Beach Florida for a long overdue vacation with my girlfriend. I have a kodak easy share that is a little clunky since is a few years old. It is a 5 MP and it takes decent shots.

I am looking for something slimmer that can fit in my pocket that takes pics that are similar in quality. I think Sony makes a 'slimshot' or 'cybershot' or something like that.

Anyone have something that sounds like what I am looking for? How do you like it?

Just looking for some feedback on some cameras that some of you might own.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    Not going to make the jump to a digital SLR? [Canon Rebel XTi]
  5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

The most important thing, IMO, is looking at the camera's lag time between pressing the shutter release and when the picture is taken. From what I have read and experienced, that time is mostly a function of how long it takes the camera to update its CCD. I just replaced my Nikon Coolpix because of just that reason.No matter what mode I was shooting in, the lag times were horrible. I went to a digital SLR and I am never going back. That being said, my wife has a small Olympus point and shoot that is small but has a nice sized screen. It kicks but for a point and shoot.

6. Mar 6, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

I love my Sony Cybershot. I have last years' 7mp version.
  7. Mar 7, 2008 #6
  8. Mar 7, 2008 #7

Gold Member

My wife is a pretty sharp shutterbug and she tolerated our first point and shoot for some nanoseconds before going back to SLR. Its unavoidably larger and more $ but a few blurred pics on the point and shoot of something you care about makes the point. SLR eliminates the lag.
  9. Mar 8, 2008 #8
    I'd say go with a Canon. The ELF (sp?) are a nice series as are the powershots.
  10. Mar 8, 2008 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shutterlag and power on time ( how long after awitching it on can you take a pitcure) are the most important.
    If you travel a lot battery type is also important, if it can take AA batteries you can buy them anywhere or carry lots of rechargeables - if it takes a custom Li-Ion battery you are forced to carry the charger or docking station with you everywhere.
  11. Mar 8, 2008 #10
    Yes, but the Li Ions are really nice and seem to hold charge much longer. I only have to recharge my Olympus Evolt E-500 (DSLR) every few months and that is with fair usage.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?