Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good sci-fi that features semi-accurate physics/science?

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    I want to find some good examples of sci-fi where at least fairly solid science (physics if I'm being particular) is featured or explained prominently in the story? Even if the stories are just referencing theoretical work that hasn't yet been experimentally established (like superstring theory, just to use an example), I feel like that would be pretty refreshing amongst all the wildly imprecise and faulty stuff we've all come across while reading.

Any good books with that in mind?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

BillTre

Science Advisor

Well, The Martian (now also a major movie!) is an obvious recent choice.

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    An outstanding sci-fi book and movie is "Contact" by Carl Sagan.
    His attempt to describe a method of superluminal travel in a scientific way led to modern physics research into wormholes.

5. Oct 20, 2016 #4
    The Mote In God's Eye and The Gripping Hand represent space travel realistically. No zipping between planets in two or three days. Niven and Pournelle say at one point that it was sometimes quicker to travel a shorter distance to a "Alderson Point" (wormhole) then travel around that solar system to another Alderson Point and do that yet again than it would be to travel from the original point of arrival in a system to the planet they're headed for. Imagine that you entered the solar system between outside the orbit of Pluto and Earth was on the other side of the Sun from your entry point. Obviously knowing all the Alderson Points would be a major help in this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted