Any group of order 952 contains a subgroup of order 68?

In summary: Next, use Sylow's third theorem to show that this subgroup is sylow p-subgroup of order 17. Finally, use Sylow's second theorem to assert that the subgroup is normal in G. So now, you need to find a subgroup of G/N with order 4. You can do this by looking for a subgroup of G/N that is sylow p-subgroup of order 4 and is also a subgroup of G.
Syrus

Homework Statement

I am struggling with a proof for this. Obviously Sylow's theorems come into play. We have that |G| = 952. As sylow's first theorem only covers subgroups of order pn, we cannot directly use it to assert the existence of a subgroup of order 68. On the other hand, if we can come up with a (normal) subgroup H of G such that [G : H] = 14, then by lagranges theorem we would have that |H| = 68. I am just unsure of how to begin with this construction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by using the Sylow Theorems to prove that there is a unique subgroup N of order 17.

Edit: My first response gave too much of the solution away. The main idea was to think about internal semi-direct products.

Last edited:
You can use Sylow's first theorem to show that a sylow p-subgroup of order 17 exists. Then sylow's third theorem shows that it is unique. Finally, Sylow's second theorem asserts that it is normal in G. Now...

Last edited:
If we are thinking about constructing the subgroup of order 68 via an internal semi-direct product and we have a normal subgroup of order 17, then what kind of group should we be looking for now?

I apologize jgens, I don't recall my abstract algebra class going into depth discussing semi-direct products. While I do think I could grasp them (after looking them up online) I don't want my instructor to think I simply copied a proof I don't understand. Is there an alternative proof strategy?

Syrus said:
I apologize jgens, I don't recall my abstract algebra class going into depth discussing semi-direct products. While I do think I could grasp them (after looking them up online) I don't want my instructor to think I simply copied a proof I don't understand. Is there an alternative proof strategy?

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of an alternative way of proving this result without appealing to semi-direct products in some form. The problem is that most of the relevant theorems giving us information about the subgroups of G concern p-groups, while we want to find a subgroup which is not a p-group. The most obvious way of doing this is by taking two p-groups and combining them in some way to form another subgroup of G with the desired properties. And the easiest way of combining these groups is via semi-direct products.

In any case, you can probably prove the following theorem without too much difficulty: If [itex]G[/itex] is a group, [itex]N,K \leq G[/itex] are subgroups of [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex], then [itex]NK = \{nk \in G:n \in N, k \in K\}[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. The idea is to essentially use this result to build the group you want.

I received this hint:

The key result is the fact that if N is normal in G, then there is
a 1-1 correspondence between subgroups of G containing N and subgroups
of the factor group G/N. If H is a subgroup of G containing N, then
the corresponding subgroup of G/N is H/N. So, you also have a simple
relationship between the orders of the subgroups in the above 1-1
correspondence (i.e. just multiply or divide by |N|). So, knowledge
of subgroups in G/N can tell you about subgroups of G.

Now..You can determine which subgroups of G are normal in G by Sylow's theorem. How do you determine the correct H containing N such that |H| = 68?

Last edited:
Hmm ... I didn't think about using the lattice isomorphism theorem, but this proof is essentially the same as the proof I was suggesting (although the lattice isomorphism theorem takes care of the semi-direct product). In any case, you want to find a subgroup of G/N with order 4. Can you figure out why?

Use the sylow theorems to show that the sylow 17-subgroup (call it K) is unique and hence normal in G. Hence, G/K is a group of order [G : K] = 56. But 56 = (22)(14), and so by Sylow's first theorem, G/K contains a subgroup of order 4.

How should I integrate the lattice isomorphism theorem here? I know all groups of order 4 are abelian and hence normal, but I was unsure as to whether this is the right track.

It's not quite that simple: Notice that 56 = 237 so Sylow's Theorem actually gives you a subgroup of order 8, not order 4. An abelian subgroup is also not necessarily normal (it is a good exercise to find an example of an abelian subgroup which is not normal).

In any case, once you correctly find a subgroup of G/N or order 4, then just apply the lattice isomorphism theorem directly to get your group of order 68.

I'm trying to figure out how to construct subgroups of factor groups

Well start by using Sylow's Theorem to get a subgroup of G/N of order 8. Now for any group of order 8, can you find a subgroup of order 4?

We've already shown above that a normal subgroup N of order 17 exists in G. Since G/N is then a group of order 56, we reapply sylow's theorems in a similar fashion to show that there exists a normal subgroup of G/N (which has the form L/N) having order 8. Applying Sylow's first theorem to L/N implies that it contains a subgroup K/N of order 22 = 4. By transitivity of subgroups, then, K/N ≤ G/N. Thus, by the lattice isomorphism theorem, there is a corresponding subgroup K of G of order [K : N]|N| = (4)(17) = 68.

This seems more valid than previous attempts.

Syrus said:
we reapply sylow's theorems in a similar fashion to show that there exists a normal subgroup of G/N (which has the form L/N) having order 8.

If you want to talk about normality, then you should prove it. I don't know if there is always a normal subgroup of order 8, so it might not be possible. Luckily, it doesn't matter, so you don't need to mention it.

Applying Sylow's first theorem to L/N implies that it contains a subgroup K/N of order 22 = 4.

I recommend you read through the Sylow theorems again. None of the Sylow theorems allow you to conclude this.

My text has:

Sylow's first theorem: Let pn divide |G|. Then G has a subgroup of order pn.

I checked another book... it can't be the case that p divides m, where |G| = pnm. Strange that the first book states it that way then.

The first theorem is usually stated as: Let G be a group and suppose that |G| = pnm where p does not divide m. Then G has a subgroup of order pn.

If there is a theorem which says "If pn divides |G|, then G has a subgroup of order pn" this is a stronger statement than the first Sylow Theorem (at least as its usually stated). I am actually not convinced this stronger statement is true and I don't really have time to think through it. But if you can use that result, then the proof is fine.

Edit: Does the first book state that G has a p-Sylow subgroup or Sylow p-subgroup? Because both of those terms mean that p cannot divide m.

Every group of order 8 has a subgroup of order two (isomorphic to Z2). Perhaps we can form the direct product of this group of order 2 to achieve our group of order 4?

Syrus said:
Every group of order 8 has a subgroup of order two (isomorphic to Z2). Perhaps we can form the direct product of this group of order 2 to achieve our group of order 4?

You are working too hard. There are five groups of order 8: [itex]Z_8,Z_4 \times Z_2,Z_2 \times Z_2 \times Z_2,D_8,Q[/itex]. Each of these has a subgroup of order 4 (you should prove this).

Edit: You should do this without appealing to the Sylow Theorems.

Last edited:
Jgens, once I prove that all groups of order 8 have a subgroup of order 4, I can place this in the proof and use the lattice isomorphism theorem to show that a subgroup H of order 68 exists in G.Before I do this however, I figure I pose another question as to the validity of one of my proofs before it gets too late:

Show that the extension field Q(√2,√3) of the rationals is equal to the simple extension Q(√2 + √3).

Proof: Clearly Q(√2,√3) is a subset of Q(√2 + √3) as Q(√2,√3) contains both √2 and √3 and hence also √2 + √3 by the field operations. Now, for nonzero p, we can divide p(√2 + √3) by p to obtain elements of the form q + √2 + √3, where of course the field operations allow √2 and √3 to be multiplied by any element of Q. Note too that(√2 + √3)(√2 + √3) = 2 + 2√2√3 + 3 which is also clearly expressible in Q(√2,√3) as √6 = √2√3.

Last edited:
Syrus said:
Proof: Clearly Q(√2,√3) is a subset of Q(√2 + √3) as Q(√2,√3) contains both √2 and √3 and hence also √2 + √3 by the field operations.

You have the obvious inclusion backwards. It follows that [itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}) \leq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})[/itex] for the reason you mention above. The trickier part is showing the inclusion [itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}) \leq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})[/itex]. To do this it suffices to show that [itex]\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3} \in \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})[/itex].

So you mean:

Q(√2 + √3) is contained in Q(√2,√3) because √2 and √3 are both in Q(√2,√3), and hence so is √2 + √3 by the field operations.

To see that Q(√2,√3) is contained in Q(√2 + √3) we should show that √2 and √3 are elements in Q(√2 + √3).

This second part seems tricky.. hmm. So far I can show that sqrt(6) is an element of Q(√2 + √3)...

It actually is not as tricky as you think. Just consider [itex]\frac{1}{2}[(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})^3-9(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})][/itex].

Another way to do this problem is to compute the minimal polynomial for [itex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/itex] and see that the degree of the polynomial is [itex]4[/itex]. This means that the degree of the extension [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}):\mathbb{Q}] = 4[/itex]. Since [itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}) \leq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})[/itex] and the degree of the extension [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}):\mathbb{Q}] = 4[/itex], it follows that [itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}) = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})[/itex], as desired. Both techniques have their uses.

Wow, that first part is clever

1. What is a group of order 952?

A group of order 952 is a mathematical object consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that follows certain properties. The order of a group is the number of elements in the set.

2. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also follows the same properties as the group. It is a smaller group within the larger group.

3. Why is it important to know that a group of order 952 contains a subgroup of order 68?

Groups and subgroups are important concepts in abstract algebra and have many applications in mathematics and other fields. Knowing that a group of order 952 contains a subgroup of order 68 can help in understanding the structure and properties of the group.

4. How do you prove that a group of order 952 contains a subgroup of order 68?

This can be proven using the Sylow theorems, which state that if a prime power divides the order of a group, then the group contains a subgroup of that order. In this case, the prime power 17^2 divides 952 and therefore, the group contains a subgroup of order 17^2 = 68.

5. Can a group of order 952 have more than one subgroup of order 68?

Yes, it is possible for a group of order 952 to have more than one subgroup of order 68. The number of subgroups of a given order in a group is determined by the Sylow theorems and can vary depending on the specific group. However, it is guaranteed that at least one subgroup of order 68 exists in a group of order 952.