Any help to identify if this is a Meteorite?

Hello,
I just found about 7 rocks seems as an oval, when I was drilling, I found a big simple rock and when I broke it I foud them, I wondered,
and I just gussing that's a meteorites, Here is 2 photos of them, I will be very thankful to help me identify them,
Thanks in advaced,

Have a look at the Meteorite Identification page from Portland State University and a similar page from UNM.

Meteorites are typically not round. The rocks in both pictures look very rounded, which is more typical of Earth-based erosion. The fact that several appeared in the same rock makes it sound like a sedimentary deposit of some sort.

Thanks Vagn, your answer was very helpful especially in this character, It's not oddly shaped, it's rounded,

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wondered,
and I just gussing that's a meteorites
not likely, not like any of the 100's of meteorites I have seen, including the ones I own

Here's a small sample of the meteorites and tektites I have

I will be very thankful to help me identify them,
Look more like a sedimentary breccia

Try a better photo ... the focus has locked on the background and not on the rock
and because of that, I cannot tell if it is crystals I can see ( particularly on the second pic) or something else

Is it strongly magnetic ?, that's a reasonable indicator but keep in mind many common earth rocks
also have magnetic properties, eg basalt lava

Dave

Thanks dave,
I have a cleared video about it on my computer, but I didn't find the option how to upload it her to see it, or I must to upload it on youtube then insert the link ?

berkeman

Mentor
Thanks dave,
I have a cleared video about it on my computer, but I didn't find the option how to upload it her to see it, or I must to upload it on youtube then insert the link ?
Maybe just take a couple clear screenshots from the video and attach those here?

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks dave,
yes, you could do that .. a link to a youtube video is a good way
Or as berkeman said .....

Maybe just take a couple clear screenshots from the video and attach those here?

Still photos are still the best quality. Whichever way you go, just make sure you have
got the focus right :smile:

cheers
Dave

Tom.G

Science Advisor
And include a ruler in the photo. Oh, and if you have a scale you can put it on to show the weight all in one photo, that too would be useful information.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello friends,
This the video that I told you about,
Is this is a meteorite ?
OK, not the best light, too many shadows

As I asked earlier, please take a couple of sharp, well lit photos ( preferably outside in natural light but not in direct sunlight)

I still cannot determine this ......

I cannot tell if it is crystals I can see ( particularly on the second pic) or something else
Where did you find this rock, country and close approx location ?

Dave

DaveC426913

Gold Member
That's a peppercorn.

Probably terrestrial.

This looks quite like an iron sulphide (pyrite) nodule. It seems to be a mass of cubic crystals typical of pyrite. here's a similar nodule I picked up from the Cretaceous chalk area in north Wiltshire, UK.

Attachments

OK, not the best light, too many shadows

As I asked earlier, please take a couple of sharp, well lit photos ( preferably outside in natural light but not in direct sunlight)

I still cannot determine this ......

Where did you find this rock, country and close approx location ?

Dave
Thanks davenn, the stones are so far from me right now, I will try to take a cleared photos next few days,
and about the location, I found them in Chlef city in Algeria country, the approx location is about 35 km near to Mediterranean Sea ( North Africa )

Abdellatif,

This looks quite like an iron sulphide (pyrite) nodule. It seems to be a mass of cubic crystals typical of pyrite. here's a similar nodule I picked up from the Cretaceous chalk area in north Wiltshire, UK.
Pyrite ! wow !
Thanks Chrismayo,

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks davenn, the stones are so far from me right now, I will try to take a cleared photos next few days,
and about the location, I found them in Chlef city in Algeria country, the approx location is about 35 km near to Mediterranean Sea ( North Africa )

Abdellatif,

cool :smile: I do have a couple of meteorite samples from NW Africa area.
There are several known strewn fields in the region ... mainly chondrite variety
rocky with some nickel/iron present. see my page ....

for some of my meteorites ( I must update it one day, many more to add)

Dave