Any help to identify if this is a Meteorite?

• Thread starter abdelatif025
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteorite
In summary: Algeria, Morocco, Turkey, and Iran.Is it strong magnetic ?, that's a reasonable indicator but keep in mind many common Earth rocks also have magnetic properties, eg basalt lavaI don't think so...Thanks Chrismayo,I don't think so...
abdelatif025
Hello,
I just found about 7 rocks seems as an oval, when I was drilling, I found a big simple rock and when I broke it I foud them, I wondered,
and I just gussing that's a meteorites, Here is 2 photos of them, I will be very thankful to help me identify them,
Thanks in advaced,

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Have a look at the Meteorite Identification page from Portland State University and a similar page from UNM.

Meteorites are typically not round. The rocks in both pictures look very rounded, which is more typical of Earth-based erosion. The fact that several appeared in the same rock makes it sound like a sedimentary deposit of some sort.

Likes abdelatif025
Thanks Vagn, your answer was very helpful especially in this character, It's not oddly shaped, it's rounded,

abdelatif025 said:
I wondered,
and I just gussing that's a meteorites

not likely, not like any of the 100's of meteorites I have seen, including the ones I own

Here's a small sample of the meteorites and tektites I have

http://www.sydneystormcity.com/meteorites.htm
abdelatif025 said:
I will be very thankful to help me identify them,

Look more like a sedimentary breccia

Try a better photo ... the focus has locked on the background and not on the rock
and because of that, I cannot tell if it is crystals I can see ( particularly on the second pic) or something else

Is it strongly magnetic ?, that's a reasonable indicator but keep in mind many common Earth rocks
also have magnetic properties, eg basalt lavaDave

Likes pinball1970, abdelatif025 and berkeman
Thanks dave,
I have a cleared video about it on my computer, but I didn't find the option how to upload it her to see it, or I must to upload it on youtube then insert the link ?

Likes davenn
abdelatif025 said:
Thanks dave,
I have a cleared video about it on my computer, but I didn't find the option how to upload it her to see it, or I must to upload it on youtube then insert the link ?
Maybe just take a couple clear screenshots from the video and attach those here?

Likes davenn
abdelatif025 said:
Thanks dave,

yes, you could do that .. a link to a youtube video is a good way
Or as berkeman said ...

berkeman said:
Maybe just take a couple clear screenshots from the video and attach those here?
Still photos are still the best quality. Whichever way you go, just make sure you have
got the focus right :smile:cheers
Dave

And include a ruler in the photo. Oh, and if you have a scale you can put it on to show the weight all in one photo, that too would be useful information.

Likes davenn
abdelatif025 said:
Hello friends,
This the video that I told you about,
Is this is a meteorite ?

OK, not the best light, too many shadows

As I asked earlier, please take a couple of sharp, well lit photos ( preferably outside in natural light but not in direct sunlight)

I still cannot determine this ...

davenn said:
I cannot tell if it is crystals I can see ( particularly on the second pic) or something else

Where did you find this rock, country and close approx location ?Dave

Likes abdelatif025
That's a peppercorn.

Probably terrestrial.

Likes abdelatif025
This looks quite like an iron sulphide (pyrite) nodule. It seems to be a mass of cubic crystals typical of pyrite. here's a similar nodule I picked up from the Cretaceous chalk area in north Wiltshire, UK.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_191331.jpg
    IMG_20190513_191331.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 590
Likes abdelatif025
davenn said:
OK, not the best light, too many shadows

As I asked earlier, please take a couple of sharp, well lit photos ( preferably outside in natural light but not in direct sunlight)

I still cannot determine this ...
Where did you find this rock, country and close approx location ?Dave
Thanks davenn, the stones are so far from me right now, I will try to take a cleared photos next few days,
and about the location, I found them in Chlef city in Algeria country, the approx location is about 35 km near to Mediterranean Sea ( North Africa )

Abdellatif,

Likes davenn
DaveC426913 said:
That's a peppercorn.

Probably terrestrial.
LoL peppercorn !
maybe is a terrestrial !
Anyway thanks for your help,

Abdellatif,

Chrismayo said:
This looks quite like an iron sulphide (pyrite) nodule. It seems to be a mass of cubic crystals typical of pyrite. here's a similar nodule I picked up from the Cretaceous chalk area in north Wiltshire, UK.

Pyrite ! wow !
Thanks Chrismayo,

abdelatif025 said:
Thanks davenn, the stones are so far from me right now, I will try to take a cleared photos next few days,
and about the location, I found them in Chlef city in Algeria country, the approx location is about 35 km near to Mediterranean Sea ( North Africa )

Abdellatif,
cool :smile: I do have a couple of meteorite samples from NW Africa area.
There are several known strewn fields in the region ... mainly chondrite variety
rocky with some nickel/iron present. see my page ...

http://www.sydneystormcity.com/meteorites.htm
for some of my meteorites ( I must update it one day, many more to add)Dave

Likes abdelatif025

1. What is a meteorite?

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object, such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, that originates in outer space and survives its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and impacts the Earth's surface.

2. How can I tell if I have found a meteorite?

There are several characteristics that can help identify a meteorite, including a dark and smooth exterior, a magnetic attraction, and a fusion crust (a thin layer of melted and cooled rock). It is best to consult with a professional or have it tested in a laboratory to confirm its identity.

3. What are some common misconceptions about meteorites?

One common misconception is that meteorites are always hot when they land on Earth. In reality, they cool rapidly during their descent and are often cold to the touch when found. Another misconception is that all meteorites are valuable. While some can be valuable, the majority are not worth much monetarily.

4. Are there different types of meteorites?

Yes, there are three main types of meteorites: stony, iron, and stony-iron. Stony meteorites are composed of mostly silicate minerals and are the most common type. Iron meteorites are made up of mostly iron and nickel, and stony-iron meteorites contain both silicate minerals and iron-nickel alloys.

5. What should I do if I think I have found a meteorite?

If you believe you have found a meteorite, it is important to handle it carefully and avoid damaging it. You can consult with a professional or have it tested in a laboratory to confirm its identity. It is also recommended to document the location and circumstances of the find for scientific purposes.