Help Identify Rock in Western Upper Michigan

In summary, the conversation is about identifying a rock found in Western Upper Michigan. The speaker asks if anyone can help identify it and provides some information about its location and surroundings. They also mention the possibility of the rock being moved by glaciers or humans. The other person suggests eliminating human dumping as a possibility and mentions the difficulty of long-range rock identification. They also suggest comparing the rock with others in the background.
sas3
Gold Member
I came across this rock and it just seemed out of place and was wondering if anyone could help identify it.
I am in the Western Upper michigan area.
GEDC0125.JPG

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Two points:
How far is it from a road or an old dirt path i.e. can someone drive to it in a truck?
Upper Michigan was under a huge layer of ice not long ago - glaciers can pick up and move large rocks hundreds of miles.. Is this on a terminal moraine? Or is there a steep rock face uphill and above it?

You have to eliminate human dumping first. The out of place thing is easily handled by: glacial processes or humans. Sometimes rocks go for a ride down a steep rock face, too. And keep rolling for a bit.

I cannot tell if it is a conglomerate or construction waste. You decide. Long range rock identification is nearly impossible, sometimes up close is still tough to do, as well. Note: it has not been there terribly long - no lichens. So you can guess what I think. Compare it with the rock in the background.

Likes BillTre, Evo, Fervent Freyja and 1 other person

Hi there! I'm not an expert in geology, but I can try to help identify your rock. Can you provide any more information or a picture of the rock? That would make it easier for me to assist you. Also, have you checked any online resources or reached out to a local geology club or university for assistance? They may have more knowledge and resources to help identify your rock. Good luck!

1. What type of rock is commonly found in Western Upper Michigan?

The most common type of rock found in Western Upper Michigan is igneous rock, specifically basalt and granite. These rocks are formed from volcanic activity and are known for their durability.

2. How can I identify the age of a rock in Western Upper Michigan?

The age of a rock in Western Upper Michigan can be determined through radiometric dating, which measures the amount of radioactive isotopes in the rock. Geologists also use the Law of Superposition to determine the relative age of rocks.

3. What are some unique features of the rocks in Western Upper Michigan?

The rocks in Western Upper Michigan are known for their distinct layers and banding patterns, which are caused by different mineral compositions. They also often contain fossils and minerals such as copper and iron.

4. Are there any resources available for identifying rocks in Western Upper Michigan?

Yes, there are several resources available such as field guides, geological maps, and online databases that can help identify rocks in Western Upper Michigan. Local museums and universities also offer resources and expertise for rock identification.

5. How do the rocks in Western Upper Michigan contribute to the local economy?

The rocks in Western Upper Michigan have played a significant role in the region's economy, particularly in the mining industry. Copper and iron mining have been major industries in the area, providing jobs and resources for the local community.