Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Legal Issues with Posting Solutions to Textbook Problems?

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    Hi, all.

My friend is teaching a physics class. She personally has worked out and LaTeXed solutions to many of the problems from the class text with the intention of posting them online so students can use them to study. I'm mildly concerned that this might violate some sort of copyright since the class text is copyrighted... Do you guys know if there are any legal issues here?

I'm mostly just curious, since a physics problem is a kind of abstract thing and it seems strange that you could have legal ownership over it, but maybe you can!

Thanks and regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

She needs to contact the authors, some leniency is allowed for educational purposes, but she may be going too far. They sell solutions manuals to teachers and students are not allowed to have them, does she not have one? I assume she must not be a college professor, since should know this?

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Answer: Tell her to contact the authors. We have no way of telling if what she is doing would hold up in a court of law.

We cannot give legal advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook