Any Metallurgists/ Material Scientists out there?

• Thread starter streeters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: Thanks for the insight. Do you feel like academia is what you want to pursue or are you just looking to progress your career?
streeters
Has anyone here worked as or studied materials science or metallurgy?
Where did you end up?
Any positive/negative aspects to the industry?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
streeters,

I'm a materials scientist who is pursuing his PhD, but I've also worked in industry for 3-years before deciding to go back to school. Materials Engineers, Materials Scientist, Metallurgists, or whatever are probably some of the most in demand people today. As soon as I graduated with my BS I didn't have trouble finding a job and I wasn't the best student at the time. Bottom line, if you like to operate high-energy equipment, get your hands dirty, and actually "make" something Materials Science is the field for you.

modey3

Modey3 said:
streeters,

I'm a materials scientist who is pursuing his PhD, but I've also worked in industry for 3-years before deciding to go back to school. Materials Engineers, Materials Scientist, Metallurgists, or whatever are probably some of the most in demand people today. As soon as I graduated with my BS I didn't have trouble finding a job and I wasn't the best student at the time. Bottom line, if you like to operate high-energy equipment, get your hands dirty, and actually "make" something Materials Science is the field for you.

modey3

Thanks for the insight. Are you looking to get into academia with your PhD or just progressing your career? Did you feel limited without a PhD?

I am studying both chemistry and physics. I am pondering the materials field from a computational physics-angle.

modey3: what do you think about that? Is a computational physics/materials something that is in demand, if you got both the physics-part of QM and such, and the chemENG-angle on top of that?

"modey3: what do you think about that? Is a computational physics/materials something that is in demand, if you got both the physics-part of QM and such, and the chemENG-angle on top of that?"

Computational Materials Science (CMS), particularly in the ab-initio modeling (QM modeling) area, is a hot field of study. People who go into CMS or Materials Science for that matter come from all sorts of backgrounds: physics, chemistry, metallurgy/materials engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. If CMS is interesting to you start learning about Density Functional Theory (DFT) because 90% of all the papers published in the area of CMS involve using DFT. CMS of course involves more than just DFT and the best applied theoreticians can model at all scales.

modey3

1. What is the difference between metallurgy and material science?

Metallurgy is a branch of material science that specifically deals with the physical and chemical properties of metals and alloys. Material science, on the other hand, is a broader field that encompasses the study of all types of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites.

2. What are the main applications of metallurgy and material science?

Metallurgy and material science have a wide range of applications in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, and healthcare. They are used to design and develop new materials with improved properties for specific applications.

3. What skills are required to become a metallurgist or material scientist?

To become a successful metallurgist or material scientist, one needs to have a strong understanding of chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Additionally, skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis are essential. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

4. What types of research are currently being conducted in the field of metallurgy and material science?

Research in metallurgy and material science is diverse and constantly evolving. Some current areas of focus include developing new materials for sustainable energy production, improving the strength and durability of materials in extreme environments, and exploring the potential of nanomaterials for various applications.

5. How does metallurgy and material science contribute to society?

Metallurgy and material science play a crucial role in advancing technology and improving our daily lives. They have led to the development of stronger and lighter materials for transportation, more efficient energy production, and better medical devices and procedures. These fields also contribute to environmental sustainability by developing eco-friendly materials and processes.