1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Any suggestions for a University?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    I am looking for something with very strong Physics program as well as Aerospace(Astronautical) Engineering,Electrical Engineering.Computer Science AND Astronomy....that seems about right.
    Of course lots of research opportunities.

Something that lacks no class in a field, but also has weird classes. I think Science/Engineering in Sci-Fi was a classic I saw at some school.
    A Science/Tech and Space policy program is a huge plus.

I want to be a bit techy/geeky feel.

I am willing to go anywhere location wise as long as the speak English since I am not sure where I want to live, but "prefer" a city,either San Francisco,Silicon Valley area,the D.C Area,Boston,New York,Seattle and maybe even London.

My final thing is I need something not too selective.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    That's asking for a lot! I have yet to hear of a uni that meets all your requirements. It'll be cool if it existed though :)

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Academic is obvious the most important.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

For the USA, I suggest using the search engine at ABET (which accredits engineering programs) to search for universities with aeronautical engineering programs. That will give you a list to start with. Then you can pick out the ones in likely locations and investigate them further to see which ones have the other programs you're interested in.

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I agree, start with ABET.

I'm afraid that schools with so many strong programs in so many fields are going to be selective. That's how they get to be selective.

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6
    In Canada, Waterloo is good.

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7
    In Texas, I know that UT Austin has degrees for all of those, and gets lots of funding, so research opportunities should be easy to get (I don't go there so I don't know though). Its also ranked fairly high, but getting admitted isn't too hard (all you need is a good class rank and a fairly good SAT/ACT score).

9. Sep 21, 2008 #8
    Minor correct, it isn't to hard if you are from Texas (due to the top 10% rule) but since many people from in-state come, they are a bit more selective from out-of-state. But I do suggest them for engineering or Texas A & M.

10. Sep 21, 2008 #9
    I'll vouch for UT Austin. You should definitely check it out. It has good programs for all the areas you mentioned (I'm in Physics myself, and I'm very satisfied so far). There are plenty of research opportunities as well. Admission requirements are pretty reasonable too.

If you are scared of living in Texas (like I was), Austin is actually a sort of intellectual/liberal oasis within the state. I've liked living here more than I thought I would.

The only thing UT may lack is the tech/geeky feel, but I'm sure you can find the right people to hang out with if that's what you want.

11. Sep 21, 2008 #10
    Thanks for the list, it helps....Options are sadly slim...

12. Sep 21, 2008 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you're interested in working on space probes, you might investigate the University of Arizona, which is home base for the Phoenix Mars lander that touched down in May. (I happened to be visiting Tucson at that time and went to the university to watch the festivities.) U of A is strong in astrophysics and astronomy in general (Kitt Peak National Observatory is near Tucson), and I think it's also well-known for optics in general.

13. Sep 21, 2008 #12
  14. Sep 22, 2008 #13
    Turkey would be a little....weird.

15. Sep 22, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you're looking to come to london, Imperial College would be the standard choice.

16. Sep 23, 2008 #15
    ^^^^
    It doesn't have to be in London.

17. Sep 23, 2008 #16
  18. Sep 27, 2008 #17
    My biggest fear with going outside the US is being behind.
    For example in the US, getting a B in AP calc is considered wonderful.
    But in the UK that is pathetic because they finish Calc in like 9th grade.

19. Sep 28, 2008 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Erm.. no we don't. In the UK, Calculus isn't taught until 6th form, or what we call college. To try and compare, this is two years before you go to university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?