1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Any suggestions for good beginner calculus textbooks.

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    Hi, i am looking for a good textbook for someone who knows nothing about calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2
    Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need to tell us what you do know and what your longterm goals are.

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4
    Well, I don't know, but people here in Brazil at UFRJ uses James Stewart.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, Stewart is about the worst book you can get for calculus, whatever your goals are.

7. Jul 10, 2016 #6
    Really? I've heard that it's too basic, now that I remembered
    I already know, If you want to know calculus, try Apostol, but remember, you have to know all the subjects of Elementary School II and the High School.

8. Jul 10, 2016 #7
    I would suggest Thomas: Calculus With Analytical Geometry 3rd ed, and Serge Lang's Calculus book. Buy both, they are cheap enough.
    Apostol is a great book. However, I would not recommended it to a beginner, unless the student is extremely bright or someone can help them.

9. Jul 10, 2016 #8
    Hum... I went to look for, and I found this, I did not go out of the still pre-calculus, now that I went to see my books and have them.

oqvrdi.jpg

10. Jul 10, 2016 #9
    You are able to read spanish fluently?

Sorry, that appears to be Italian or French. lol I am fluent in both Spanish and English.

11. Jul 10, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You know, reading mathematical texts is very different from usual texts. I am completely certain I can't say a single sentence in spanish. However, I am able to read spanish mathematical texts decently. Given some time and a dictionary, it's pretty easy to fluently read a foreign math book!

12. Jul 10, 2016 #11
    This is not Spanish, it's Portuguese, I'm native Portuguese speaker (from Brazil).

13. Jul 10, 2016 #12
    I may try that Differential Equations book by Kamke then. It is German, and I always see it referenced in other books.

14. Jul 10, 2016 #13
    Oh ok, I asked because I know of a very good Calculus book in Spanish. There is also a series of good physics book that are affordable in Spanish, but not English.

15. Jul 10, 2016 #14
    I am in the french system but i think i have igcse/as level mathematics. My goal is simply to apply calculus to physics as i was told it was needed to move on.

16. Jul 10, 2016 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry, but this tells us nothing. I know high school students who can't solve a simple arithmetic problem, and I know of some who are doing general relativity. So you'll need to be more specific.

I understand that you want to be a physicist? Or an engineer? Why is it that you want to learn physics?

17. Jul 10, 2016 #16
    Sorry for the lack of precision in my earlier reply. What i want for the moment is just a basic knowledge of calculus as it is tackled much later and in less depth in France than in other countries (eg. England). The main goal is to get on par with the British level once I reach university. As for my current level, it is pretty good in the french system (top marks) but this is without counting the knowledge I lack.

18. Jul 10, 2016 #17
    What Micromass is asking you, is what mathematics do you know. Ie, do you know algebra, geometry,trig etc. At what level do you know these topics? Ie, trigonometry from a general run of of the mill trig book, or maybe Gelfand, or even better, Loney?

19. Jul 10, 2016 #18
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted