Any tips for a struggling Engineer major?

In summary, the speaker is a student studying Electrical Engineering who struggles with math, specifically in calculus 3. They admit to not putting in enough effort in previous calculus courses, causing them to struggle with basic concepts now. They have difficulty studying and are seeking advice on how to improve their study habits. The suggestion is made to join a study group, attend help sessions, and consider a government job in engineering. It is also mentioned that there is a need for engineers at all levels, including those who may not have a strong understanding of advanced math.
bettermath
I'm currently doing Electrical Engineering. My main problem is math, and it's mostly my fault. I did the minimum work I needed in calculus 1 and 2 and it's kicking my butt in calculus 3 (I have failed it once before). I don't remember the basic stuff from calculus 1 and 2 is the big problem in this class. Like for finding the arc length of a curve, I can do it all right up until the point where I have to find the integral haha. My main problem with this is that I'm not actually bad in math, I just really suck at studying. I don't know how I can fix my study habits since even if I'm studying in a quiet library with no electronics, my mind wanders elsewhere.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't study alone, get into a study group, attend help sessions, consider a government job.

Seriously, the world needs engineers of all levels, those who understand the whole concept including the underlying math, and people to work for them carrying out directed tasks that don't require global understanding. If that is still too much work, management.

1. How can I improve my study habits as an Engineer major?

As an Engineer major, it is important to develop effective study habits to succeed in your coursework. Some tips for improving your study habits include creating a schedule, breaking down large tasks into smaller ones, seeking help when needed, and staying organized.

2. What resources are available to help struggling Engineer majors?

Many universities offer resources specifically for Engineering students, such as tutoring services, study groups, and academic advisors. Additionally, there are numerous online resources, such as practice problems and video tutorials, that can help you better understand difficult concepts.

3. How can I manage my time effectively as an Engineer major?

Time management is crucial for success in any major, but especially for Engineering. Some tips for managing your time effectively include prioritizing tasks, setting realistic goals, and avoiding procrastination. It may also be helpful to break down larger projects into smaller, more manageable tasks.

4. What can I do to improve my grades in challenging Engineering courses?

If you are struggling with a specific course, it is important to identify your weaknesses and seek help from your professor or a tutor. Additionally, practice problems and reviewing lecture notes can help improve your understanding of the material. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively.

5. How can I stay motivated as an Engineer major?

Engineering coursework can be challenging and it is important to find ways to stay motivated. It may be helpful to set short-term goals, reward yourself for completing tasks, and remind yourself of your long-term career aspirations. Surrounding yourself with supportive peers and seeking help when needed can also help keep you motivated and on track.