Computer Engineering or Computer Science Major?

In summary, if you are interested in computer science or computer engineering, I would recommend majoring in computer engineering. However, if you are not great at math, I would recommend going for it and working hard on your math skills. Regardless of your major, you can find a job in either field.
Computerwiz
Hello,

I am a Freshman in College as of right now, and I am looking to decide on a major. I am extremely interested in computers, this includes: how they work, finding new things to do with them, and learning how to develop new software. However, I am not the best at math, if I really study hard, i can learn to understand it, but it does not come naturally. This frustrates me because obviously computer science and computer engineering both greatly involve math. Should I go for it and just work on my math? If so, should I major in computer science or computer engineering. Also, which of these would be better for me in my situation and which would give me a better future?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Computer engineering.

The difference really comes down to hardware vs. software. Computer engineers deal with the hardware side and computer scientists deal with the software side. Naturally, there is a bit of overlap because you can't really do one without understanding the other to a certain degree.

Having said that, my personal bias is toward computer engineering. You can learn a lot of the computer science concepts by reading the huge amount of published material out there and still have a good foundation as far as hardware goes. Sure, it might take you a good while to get to the same knowledge level as a CS graduate, but you'd have the added benefit of being a computer engineer. With regard to jobs, you'll be able to find work doing either of them.

Also, if your limiting factor is math, I'd say just bite the bullet. Unless you're planning on doing physical simulations, the chances of using advanced math every day are remote. There's no reason to limit your career options based on that.

You just have to find the beauty in math to make studying easier. Besides calculus (1-3), you should only need 2 or 3 more maths after that (linear algebra and diff. equations) depending on the school

I would like to highlight that both computer engineering and computer science are highly valuable and in-demand fields in today's technology-driven world. Both majors involve a strong foundation in mathematics and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, they have different focuses and career paths.

Computer engineering combines principles of electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware components. It involves a deep understanding of computer architecture, digital systems, and hardware design. On the other hand, computer science focuses on the theory and principles of computing, algorithms, and software development. It involves learning programming languages, data structures, and software development methodologies.

Based on your interest in computers and desire to develop new software, it seems like computer science may be a better fit for you. While math is an essential component of both majors, computer science may have a slightly lower emphasis on advanced mathematics compared to computer engineering. However, it is still crucial to have a strong foundation in math to excel in either field.

In terms of career opportunities, both majors offer a wide range of options in various industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and more. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are more interested in developing software and applications, computer science may be a better fit. However, if you are interested in designing and building computer systems, computer engineering may be a better choice.

I would also encourage you to explore both majors and their course requirements in more detail to see which one aligns better with your interests and strengths. You can also speak to your academic advisor or professionals working in the field to gain more insight into the career paths and opportunities available in both majors.

In conclusion, both computer engineering and computer science are excellent majors with promising futures. It is essential to choose the one that aligns with your interests, strengths, and career goals. With hard work and dedication, you can excel in either field and have a fulfilling career in the ever-evolving world of technology.

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and software systems, while computer science is concerned with the theory and algorithms that underlie these systems. Computer engineers often work on the physical components of computers, such as circuit design, while computer scientists deal with the programming and coding aspects.

2. What skills are required for a computer engineering or computer science major?

Both majors require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in programming languages and knowledge of computer hardware. Additionally, strong math skills and attention to detail are important for success in these fields.

3. What career opportunities are available for computer engineering or computer science majors?

Both majors have a wide range of career opportunities, including software and hardware engineering, data science, cybersecurity, and research and development. Graduates can work in various industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and education.

4. What is the job outlook for computer engineering or computer science majors?

The job outlook for both majors is very positive, with a high demand for skilled professionals in the technology industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 11% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to pursue a computer engineering or computer science major?

While a strong background in math can be beneficial for these majors, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory courses in math and programming to help students build a solid foundation. It is important to have a willingness to learn and a strong interest in the subject matter to succeed in these majors.