Any ways to get the desired six pack abs

• Thread starter rylan
  • Start date
jostpuur: Of course people work out to be good looking. Otherwise it would be a total waste of time.

To be good looking can be the reason for some, but it's not the only possible reason.

I go jogging regularly mainly because I feel it is a useful skill to able to run (you never know when you need the skill. It's like self defense skills: You are unlikely going to need them, but you never know if the need suddenly comes at you), and in a hope that I'm going to live a little bit longer with a strong heart than with a weak one.

Sometimes people can also be interested in numbers like how many push ups or pull ups one can do, or how much one can bench and so on. In sports spirit. It's not awfully different from being interested in school grades. That's about basic interest in one's own abilities.

rylan, if you are hanging from a bar with you hands, can you touch the bar with your toes? That's a nice move, at least from the skill point of view. I'm not sure if is the most efficient for the six-pack dreams, though... the move is quite heavy for the arms too.

Change your name to John Basedow. Poof problem solved.

joostpuur: Of course you get other skills that are quite useful, I know that with the stamina I possess now I am able to successfully apply myself to my current vacation job. Without the stamina, it would have been an utter disaster. So of course you are correct.

There are other qualities besides being good looking. Like I won't have a number of diseases which are rather unnecessary and depends on living without the exercise the human body needs. I am probably able to outrun most thugs, depending on the level of adrenaline I receive in the heat of the moment. Besides, exercise takes a load of things, destresses you if you will.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I have a great workout for developing the obliques, but not much for the rectus abdominis (that's the "6-pack" muscle). My work out...lean over sheep sideways to get blood sample, continue 8 reps over 2-3 minutes, rest 9-10 min, repeat for 4 to 8 hours. :biggrin: If you alternate the sides of the sheep you take blood from, you get a nice balanced workout of the obliques. By the way, developing the obliques does help define the 6-pack a bit (I still only have a 2-pack though)...I have a very clearly defined linea seminlunaris.

As for the rectus abdominis, what really defines the 6-pack are the tendinous intersections between muscle segments there. They are not that prominent in a lot of people, so you could work out and maintain low body fat and do everything possible, and still never have a defined 6-pack.

I traded my six pack for a case ages ago. It works ok for me.

seycyrus

I have dated men with washboard abs (and married one) and the amount of time they spent in the gym and gazing at themselves in the mirror flexing their muscles was a huge turn off, but I guess there must be some women out there that like watching it.

I'll take a guy with a bit of a pooch belly anytime. :smile:

Many of the guys looking at themselves in the mirror are looking for a sign of improvement. It isn't all about ego, but rather a measure of success.

i.e. "I've been doing low rep, high intensity lifts for the past 3 weeks. Is there any change? Maybe I should do my cardio at the end of my workout rather than the beginning."

etc.

WarPhalange

Good point, I never thought about it that way.

Evo
Mentor

Many of the guys looking at themselves in the mirror are looking for a sign of improvement. It isn't all about ego, but rather a measure of success.
My ex was admiring himself. He'd even walk into a room I was sitting in and do those dumb flexes, like it was a turn on for me and I would burst out laughing. :redface: I didn't mean to laugh, it just looked so funny, especially when you're not expecting it.

WarPhalange

How did he react when you laughed? Did he get pissed or did he want to make you laugh?

Evo
Mentor

How did he react when you laughed? Did he get pissed or did he want to make you laugh?
He always got upset.

This is him, not the best picture, you can't see his abs very well.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2360/19616061hw0.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
seycyrus

He looks well proportioned. looks like he devoted time to his legword as well. Maybe could do some more work on his shoulders.

Another thing to mention about the "mirror" thing.

The whole workout-bodybuild thing can snowball for some guys. They focus on their flaws not their achievements. Body-image problems are fairly common.

Evo
Mentor

He looks well proportioned. looks like he devoted time to his legword as well. Maybe could do some more work on his shoulders.

Another thing to mention about the "mirror" thing.

The whole workout-bodybuild thing can snowball for some guys. They focus on their flaws not their achievements. Body-image problems are fairly common.
That was before he started working out again at a gym. He ran a lot.

seycyrus

That was before he started working out again at a gym. He ran a lot.

Yes it's obvious that he runs alot.

And I was not drawing any connection between him and the mirror and body image thing.

Should have used two different posts, my bad.

this is the inversion of a problem other boards have. usually people ask science questions on casual boards and get sent here. hence i'm sending you to www.exrx.net[/url] for very good, researched sports medicine advice and [url]www.t-nation.com[/URL] for more aesthetic concerns.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

this is the inversion of a problem other boards have. usually people ask science questions on casual boards and get sent here. hence i'm sending you to www.exrx.net[/url] for very good, researched sports medicine advice and [url]www.t-nation.com[/URL] for more aesthetic concerns.[/QUOTE]

How do you know they're offering good, researched advice? I don't see them offering any citations for the information provided. Just curious about that.

By the way, the summer class I just finished teaching was partly exercise physiology students...wow! They are ALL amazingly fit! :tongue2: I handled the anatomy lab, and the other instructor handled the lectures that addressed the kinesiology aspects of the muscle functions. Seriously, there is a lot of individual variation in the tendinous intersections along the rectus abdominis muscle. In many, they could not even be distinctly identified in the upper quadrant of the abdomen. Without those, you're not going to have a defined 6-pack. You can still get a nicely toned abdomen, and can have a lean, reasonably flat stomach, but it's not going to have that 6-pack appearance.

Phineas

Exercise at least every other day. Leg lifts, sit ups, stomach crunches, and getting down to a proper weight. Some people have the perfect genetics to have the ad perfect abs. Others in will have a toned figure. However at the ad agency photo shop does amazing things before one runs an ad past a client. Same goes for those perfect females in the pictures. Add 10% to the neck, lengthen the legs 7%, then .....

Most of what we see in ads and print has a bit of photo shop. In the days before photo shop I was told they used airbrushes and other manual techniques. My life was ruined when I met my first creative. I found out about Santa, the easterbunny and most of what models looked like in real life.