Looking for entry level DIY ideas

In summary, if you want to use these batteries to power something, make sure to do it safely and find a compatible product.
TechDIYaspirant
TL;DR Summary
I have two 1000w 48v lithium ion batteries that are sitting unused and want to put them to use.
I'm looking for a way to use these batteries that is safe and also useful. I've looked into buy inverters to turn them into portable battery packs but am out of my depth and don't want to create a device with serious potential fire hazards without thoroughly understanding the ins and outs and proper precautions.

The batteries were previously used to power the front hub motor or a 29" bicycle wheel used on a pedicab/cycle rickshaw.

I also have bike and a non-working moped that I've thought might make good projects at some point for electical conversion but those are both on the more advanced side. Also thought of expanding the capacity of an UPS system for my PC but don't really know where to start.

Any other good ideas about how to put these to use or suggestions on how to approach any of the above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

AFAIK, batteries aren't usually rated in their power output. More common is the output voltage (which you list as 48V) and Energy storage capacity (usually in Amp*hours or milliAmp*hours). Do your batteries list anything like that? What are the manufacturer and model number?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081STBZ8F/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm pretty sure this is the model I have. at least the dimensions and wrapping are identical (though the connections differ slightly. I'm guessing they are 20ah based on this.

Well, to be frank, some of the other Mentors and I are not comfortable suggesting DIY projects for a beginner and moderate size Li-Ion batteries. A quick Googe Images search for Li-Ion battery fire returns way too many hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Li-...EAoAECoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWewAQo&sclient=img

Instead, try to find standard products that use this battery. Maybe you can find some used scooters or e-bikes or whatever that could benefit from fresh batteries.

Thread is closed for now. Please stay safe.

Likes anorlunda, Rive and hutchphd

1. What are some easy DIY ideas for beginners?

Some easy DIY ideas for beginners include painting a room, creating a simple piece of wall art, or making a no-sew pillow cover. These projects require minimal supplies and can be completed in a short amount of time.

2. How can I find DIY ideas that are budget-friendly?

There are many resources available for finding budget-friendly DIY ideas. You can search for ideas on websites such as Pinterest or YouTube, or visit your local library for DIY books and magazines. You can also repurpose items you already have at home to create new DIY projects.

3. Are there any DIY projects that are suitable for children?

Yes, there are many DIY projects that are suitable for children. Some ideas include creating homemade playdough, making paper crafts, or decorating a picture frame. It is important to supervise children during these projects and choose age-appropriate activities.

4. How can I make my DIY projects more environmentally friendly?

To make your DIY projects more environmentally friendly, you can use recycled materials, such as old newspapers or cardboard, instead of buying new supplies. You can also choose eco-friendly materials, such as non-toxic paints and natural fabrics. Additionally, consider donating or repurposing items instead of throwing them away.

5. Where can I find step-by-step instructions for DIY projects?

You can find step-by-step instructions for DIY projects on websites, blogs, and YouTube channels dedicated to DIY and crafting. You can also check out books and magazines from your local library or bookstore. Additionally, many DIY projects come with instructions included in the supplies or kits you purchase.