Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any ways to get the desired six pack abs

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    Any ways to get the desired six pack abs!!!

Hello everybody, I have been watching guys on TV and some my friend have it too…know what…the six pack abs!!! It feels awesome to bear that look and it really gives me the chills to be like them. But, I am not sure whether I can make them or no. I have not consulted my friends about this (cause they always pride themselves about this...and I’m shy to ask). I do have a little weight on but I can manage to cut that down. So, do you people have any options that I can try to make things happen???

Any help will be highly appreciated!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2
    Re: Any ways to get the desired six pack abs!!!

LOL i don't know if this is good advice, i have 4 pack abs because i can't be bothered to work on them anymore. Just don't eat. I lost close to 6 kgs just because i didn't eat much. And i didn't really feel hungry because i was busy doing something!
    After i got my flat stomach i just started doing benches and sit ups and they came naturally. I didn't even do them regularly and my 4 packs are quite chiseled.

But other people around here probably have better advice.

4. Aug 2, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a bunch of these.

Or exercise and eat less. Sit ups, crunches, weights, etc.

5. Aug 2, 2008 #4

I remember my drummer was not so much exercising (only drumming) than he was dry. Not fat at all. One could see his abs so well, he was so thin.

6. Aug 2, 2008 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7518888.stm

7. Aug 2, 2008 #6

The secret behind this is not weight loss (weight includes muscle mass) but just fat loss. Try HIIT sprints and eat right. Crunches won't do much for now. Depending on body structure, you might want to try weight training.

EDIT:
    HIIT sprints are hard. But they are the best! Don't use the fitness pill nonsense.

8. Aug 2, 2008 #7
  9. Aug 2, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting. When you stop to think about it, it does make sense. I mean, just consider waving your arms in the air for 90 min and you start to get some sense of it.

I especially like the suggestion of drumming being an alternative approach to exercise/fitness for kids who aren't into sports.

10. Aug 2, 2008 #9

Washboard abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. We all have those nice abs, they are just covered in a layer of fat. Take out the fat, you'll see some nice abs.

Crunches/situps don't do much.

11. Aug 2, 2008 #10

Wrong, just like any other muscle group, they can atrophy, and require development. Many people who lead very sedentary lives simply do not have the muscle development to have 6 pack abs. While some people have nice abs covered in a layer of fat, it's not `all' by any stretch. Just like any other muscle group, if you work it out properly, it will get larger, and guess what, the larger it is, the more fat it takes to cover it.

You must have sufficient muscle, as well as low enough fat in order to get nice abs. One or the other won't do it.

12. Aug 2, 2008 #11

This much is true however, in order to get any muscle growth, weight must be added. Do weighted crunches/situps as soon as you can do more than 10-20 regular ones (and yes, I do know people who can't even do that many). Use enough weight that you could only complete about 20 reps total, and do sets of 10. This should give good muscle growth, without any risk of strain/tearing.

13. Aug 2, 2008 #12

That's cute that you know about hypertrophy, but when's the last time you saw someone with giant abs? Your abs, similar to forearms and calves, just don't put on mass that easily.

If you didn't have sufficient muscle you wouldn't be able to stand up straight or get out of bed. Abs are your core, you use them whether you want to or not.

You state the general rule of looking "toned", muscle divided by fat, but in this case most everybody has the muscle for it.

14. Aug 2, 2008 #13

Muscle growth of abs? :rolleyes:

Just how big do you want them?

15. Aug 2, 2008 #14

Training for overall physical fitness is a better goal.

16. Aug 2, 2008 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have dated men with washboard abs (and married one) and the amount of time they spent in the gym and gazing at themselves in the mirror flexing their muscles was a huge turn off, but I guess there must be some women out there that like watching it.

I'll take a guy with a bit of a pooch belly anytime. :smile:

17. Aug 2, 2008 #16

I never understood the "gazing at themselves" part. I'll flex... I used to flex every now and then if I happened to be in front of a mirror, like in the bathroom or something (back when I lifted), but I guess I just don't have it in me to be turned on by myself.

18. Aug 2, 2008 #17

I've found that instead of crunches if I lay on my bed with my feet and legs over the edge and then lift them together at the same time, gives a much better workout, and it only takes like 20 reps before you are wiped out, works really well though.

19. Aug 2, 2008 #18

Be careful not to harm your back. Find some documentation about this, there are positions that are quite dangerous for you back, and you only have one.

20. Aug 2, 2008 #19

Yeah, I'm careful with it, you have to balance such that your back is fully on the bed, the only axis of movement is the hips. It's hard to describe properly

21. Aug 2, 2008 #20

I would recommend cooking all food. Running 10 km at the very least 3 times a week and having a very physically tough job, like construction or something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?