Anybody disappointed that James Cameron didn't win Oscars

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary: It also won the Golden Globe for best motion picture - drama.In summary, the movie Avatar was made with a lot of hard work and dedication and it was a brave move by director Cameron to go against the grain. I thought Hurt Locker was better, but I'm glad that sanity seems to have returned to the Oscars. I am pleased that the Academy recognized that there are other aspects to a movie besides just special effects. I am also glad that the best picture award is not completely relative.
waht
You may not like the movie, but it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that so much work and effort went into making Avatar, so much coordination was required, and working with cutting edge technology.

I think Jame Cameron should have won the Oscars for putting it all together and pushing the envelope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.
I'm pleased that sanity seems to have returned to the Oscars.

Special Effects simply cannot be a substitute for a well-written story.

I thought Hurt Locker was pretty good, but I don't know about best picture. Maybe this year had a poor crop of movies.

I am very glad he did not win any award. The story was very unoriginal and not very thought provoking and I did not want to see cameron's ego continue to be boosted

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I thought Hurt Locker was pretty good, but I don't know about best picture. Maybe this year had a poor crop of movies.

Well, that's the thing. "Best picture" is entirely relative, isn't it? The best picture of the year is nothing more or less than - well - the best picture of the year. :tongue:

Nope.
I'm pleased that sanity seems to have returned to the Oscars.
A semblance of sanity anyway.

There was significant work and dedication that went into making Avatar. As a director Cameron he went boldly where no one has done before. He advanced film making. He created something novel. That's creativity. For that he should be rewarded.

Oh well, I guess the majority wins. I'm signing out.

waht said:
There was significant work and dedication that went into making Avatar. As a director Cameron he went boldly where no one has done before. He advanced film making. He created something novel. That's creativity. For that he should be rewarded.

It means nothing if the same old story is being regurgitated. The special effects where really NOT that spectacular to me. While I was at the movie theater, even with the 3-d glasses , I did not feel immersed in the movie with the characters. It was a pretty film to look at , but that's about it.

waht said:

I guess he'll have to cry himself to sleep on the $2.6 billion his film took in.

waht said:

What did he do that was so revolutionary? We've been watching novelty 3-D films since the 1950s.

Revolutionary special effects do not, necessarily, a great movie make. You need a whole raft of other elements to come together with it, such as a compelling story, characters with depth, acting, cinematography, and soundtrack blending together seamlessly that causes you to suspend disbelief and live along with the characters in the movie. You forget that you're sitting in a seat and get lost entirely in the experience as a whole. Special effects alone don't do that.

What do you think of Tarantino? Didn't he deserve an oscar?
And how about best actress? Don't you think Streep played better than Bullock?

Giving him an oscar is like saying the best car is the fastest or the most expensive. Anyone can dream big technology wise, that's not something worthy of a reward... unless he actually made the technology himself.

But yah, I'm sure he won't lose any sleep over his billions taken in for the movie.

I didn't see all of those, Lisa!, so I can't comment. Streep delivered, as always, an incredible performance. I don't think I've seen her do anything poorly. (Okay, maybe Death Becomes Her but that was just a bad movie.) I didn't see Bullock's performance.

What I am thrilled about is Up! winning for best animated movie. I loved that movie from end to end. I saw it first in 2-D, laughed myself silly, and then drug a bunch of people from work with me a few days later to see it in 3-D. I was knocked over all over again.

Avatar is a nice movie, but - despite technology - flat and shallow.

Oscar is supposed to award movies with great thoughts.I'm happy Avatar didn't won the best film.

By the way,how do you guys think of Invictus?I really like it.Why didn't it won something?

Avatar won 3 Oscars: Cinematography, art direction, and special effects. Those are exactly the ones it deserved, of course: "fastest," "shiniest," and "most expensive."

And man, that was one shiny movie.

Chi Meson said:
Avatar won 3 Oscars: Cinematography, art direction, and special effects. Those are exactly the ones it deserved, of course: "fastest," "shiniest," and "most expensive."

And man, that was one shiny movie.

hmmm...yeah! Avatar won any oscar that a physicist would win for a movie!:biggrin:
GeorginaS said:
I didn't see all of those, Lisa!, so I can't comment. Streep delivered, as always, an incredible performance. I don't think I've seen her do anything poorly. (Okay, maybe Death Becomes Her but that was just a bad movie.) I didn't see Bullock's performance.

What I am thrilled about is Up! winning for best animated movie. I loved that movie from end to end. I saw it first in 2-D, laughed myself silly, and then drug a bunch of people from work with me a few days later to see it in 3-D. I was knocked over all over again.
I agree with you!:smile:

waht said:
You may not like the movie, but it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that so much work and effort went into making Avatar, so much coordination was required, and working with cutting edge technology.

I think Jame Cameron should have won the Oscars for putting it all together and pushing the envelope.

Avatar was better than The Hurt Locker. None of those films had a great story IMO. Hurt Locker IMO doesn't deserve the best picture of the year. It wasn't very engaging and it was too long. They could have cut it short with 25-30 mins and make it better. I was half asleep towards the end when it got interesting again. Documentaries about British SAS missions for example kept me better entertained. At least Avatar despite it's story didn't bore the living daylights out of me.

There is a bias towards "serious movies" at academy awards.

UP should have won best overall picture this year. An animated film will never win best picture though because there simply is no acting involved.

I thought "Precious" and "Hurt Locker" were both much better movies than "Avatar".

"Avatar" was very entertaining and it was an exceptional job making the special effects enhance the movie instead of making the movie. Except entertainment was all it provided - it didn't require much thought or effort for the viewer.

The story line of "Hurt Locker" was just a lot better. The movie was also very well made.

A real life EOD episode - Dude, You Blew Up My Car

"Up in the air" is the 2009 movie with the best story. Way better than both Avatar and The Hurt Locker.

Oscars, just like the Nobel price, seem to be a major let down lately. Frankly, I don't care much for the opinion of any of these. The academy awards where actors pat each other on the back for acting is hilarious at its bestStar Trek won Oscar for best makeup ?? AHAHAHAH

Last edited:
For me, it was Hurt Locker V/S Up in the air and I'm glad that finally Hurt Locker won :)

BTW, Avatar minus 3D Effects = Just another Sci-fi movie ;)

Even though hurt locker was so horribly inacurate, I am still glad it won.

The story has some weak points, but it's very creative nonetheless. That's no indicator that the director is bad.

There was no technology available to make this film a few years ago. What Cameron did is pushed industries to roll out the technology more quickly. He created demand. If it wasn't for him, those technologies would remain dormant for many years.

But what Hollywood has been doing all this time? They've made movies in same format over and over. There is nothing innovating about that, only a different story, with different names, and setting.

Cameron on the other hand has demonstrated the future of movie making, NOT the past.

The future of movie making is shiny emptiness ?

waht said:
The story has some weak points, but it's very creative nonetheless. That's no indicator that the director is bad.

Cameron on the other hand has demonstrated the future of movie making, NOT the past.

Ok, let me put it this way. Oscars are nice and funny, and it's great to have an award or a nomination.

But in the end the real value of a production is seen on the streets, at the box office.
Ppl speak there.

What did The Hurt Locker grossed ? 21 Million worldwide ? Now compare that with the 2,55 Milliards Avatar grossed worldwide to date.

Frankly, when you run those numbers, you realize that an Oscar for The Hurt Locker was pretty much a consolation prize. The reality is simple. Avatar was the best movie of 2009.
Numbers speaks. A 100 factor in grosses.

In 2009 I believe the best story was the one in "Up In the Air". But this doesn't make it the best movie of 2009. Avatar is.

humanino said:
The future of movie making is shiny emptiness ?

Look at the grosses. 2.55 milliards. It seems very much the future. The audience has spoken.

waht said:

Cameron won the appropriate awards, technical, visual, and all that stuff. He advanced the field of technology in his movies and he was appropriately rewarded.

The best actors, actresses, director, movie, etc, all that went to the appropriate people.

Avatar's coolness is especially good for young people. I imagine you are in your late teens, early 20's. Am i correct?

magnusrobot12 said:

Avatar's coolness is especially good for young people. I imagine you are in your late teens, early 20's. Am i correct?

Will the humans ever get over stereotyping ?

DanP said:
Will the humans ever get over stereotyping ?

Let him answer the question. Are you telling me that young people would not be more enticed by Avatar than an older person. I think an older person would appreciate the technology that went into avatar, but there is nothing wrong with the premise that a younger person would blow-out-of-proportion the impact of the cool visual effects in the context of the other nominated movie. Were you never young?

DanP said:
But in the end the real value of a production is seen on the streets, at the box office.
Ppl speak there.
OK, so you believe the only measure of a film's value is in dollars.
You also believe that "most popular" and "best" are synonymous.

That is one opinion, most definitely not shared by all.

magnusrobot12 said:
Let him answer the question. Are you telling me that young people would not be more enticed by Avatar than an older person.

Im underlining that stereotypes cannot be used to infer anything about an individual.

magnusrobot12 said:
Were you never young?

Im still very young.

DanP said:
Look at the grosses. 2.55 milliards. It seems very much the future. The audience has spoken.
That is not a very convincing argument to me. I actually find it quite irrelevant. If tomorrow a movie adds the sense of smell in the show, it might actually define one technical aspect of future movies. Such a technical breakthrough would still (from my point of view) not entitle the movie to any Academy award. I simply do not agree that those should award a technical breakthrough, or a revenue breakthrough either for that matter. I am glad the Academy seems to think better of their own Art.

<h2>1. What were the expectations for James Cameron to win Oscars?</h2><p>As a highly acclaimed director and producer, James Cameron's films are often considered contenders for major awards such as the Oscars. Many expected his latest film, <i>Avatar</i>, to receive multiple nominations and potentially win in several categories.</p><h2>2. Why do some people feel disappointed that James Cameron didn't win Oscars?</h2><p>Some people may feel disappointed because they believe that James Cameron's work, particularly <i>Avatar</i>, was deserving of recognition and praise from the Academy. They may also feel that his previous successes and contributions to the film industry warrant him winning an Oscar.</p><h2>3. Did James Cameron win any Oscars for <i>Avatar</i>?</h2><p>While <i>Avatar</i> received numerous nominations, James Cameron did not win any Oscars for the film. However, he has won multiple Oscars in the past for his work on <i>Titanic</i> and <i>Aliens</i>.</p><h2>4. How did James Cameron react to not winning any Oscars for <i>Avatar</i>?</h2><p>In interviews, James Cameron has expressed that while he would have liked to win Oscars for <i>Avatar</i>, he is still proud of the film and its impact on audiences. He also acknowledges the talent of the other nominees and congratulates them on their wins.</p><h2>5. Will James Cameron continue to make award-worthy films in the future?</h2><p>Based on his track record, it is likely that James Cameron will continue to produce high-quality films that have the potential to win Oscars. He is known for pushing boundaries and creating visually stunning and thought-provoking works, which are often recognized by award organizations.</p>

1. What were the expectations for James Cameron to win Oscars?

As a highly acclaimed director and producer, James Cameron's films are often considered contenders for major awards such as the Oscars. Many expected his latest film, Avatar, to receive multiple nominations and potentially win in several categories.

2. Why do some people feel disappointed that James Cameron didn't win Oscars?

Some people may feel disappointed because they believe that James Cameron's work, particularly Avatar, was deserving of recognition and praise from the Academy. They may also feel that his previous successes and contributions to the film industry warrant him winning an Oscar.

3. Did James Cameron win any Oscars for Avatar?

While Avatar received numerous nominations, James Cameron did not win any Oscars for the film. However, he has won multiple Oscars in the past for his work on Titanic and Aliens.

4. How did James Cameron react to not winning any Oscars for Avatar?

In interviews, James Cameron has expressed that while he would have liked to win Oscars for Avatar, he is still proud of the film and its impact on audiences. He also acknowledges the talent of the other nominees and congratulates them on their wins.

5. Will James Cameron continue to make award-worthy films in the future?

Based on his track record, it is likely that James Cameron will continue to produce high-quality films that have the potential to win Oscars. He is known for pushing boundaries and creating visually stunning and thought-provoking works, which are often recognized by award organizations.