Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I like the sun at night. 
Evo said:I like the sun at night.![]()
ranger said:Christmas also brings up painful memories for some. What about the mother that lost her child in an accident? What does Christmas do to her?
Moonbear said:Nobody's forcing anyone to celebrate it. If it's not your religion, or not your preference to celebrate it, or you just want to be left alone, then don't celebrate it. The movie theaters are still open on Christmas day, go see a movie with all the other people who don't celebrate the holiday.
I don't get it, people grouch about the day being so bad, but the degree of grouching makes me think they really do want to celebrate it, but for some reason are denying themselves all the fun. Either you don't consider it anything special, so should just treat the day like any other day, or you do want to celebrate it, in which case stop being so grumpy about it and just let loose and have fun.
That's too bad. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes some families make is to "force" everyone into being together if they'd rather not. I know many of my friends pretend to be out of town and hide from their families just to avoid them. It comes from years of being forced to spend "quality" time together as a family. If time together has to be forced, it's not healthy.LightbulbSun said:I can't do this though. Everyone in my family says it's a selfish thing to do without realizing the irony in their statements. So I'm pretty much forced into celebrating it because I'll hurt everyones precious feelings if I don't.
Being an atheist is a hard life to live.
Evo said:That's too bad. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes some families make is to "force" everyone into being together if they'd rather not. I know many of my friends pretend to be out of town and hide from their families just to avoid them. It comes from years of being forced to spend "quality" time together as a family. If time together has to be forced, it's not healthy.
LightbulbSun said:I can't do this though. Everyone in my family says it's a selfish thing to do without realizing the irony in their statements. So I'm pretty much forced into celebrating it because I'll hurt everyones precious feelings if I don't.
Being an atheist is a hard life to live.
Did you go to the doctor? You should get something if it's bacterial.rewebster said:I think my 'cold' settled into an inner ear/Eustachian tube/throat infection--which I haven't had since a kid, and what I remember it lasts for a long time. I think this it where the headaches are coming from. I really don't like taking meds, so hot soups, hot drinks, hot showers,--I going for hot ---including curling up in a fetal position under the blankets.---
If it's gone on for more than a few days, then go see a doctor as Evo and Moonbear recommended. It could be a secondary infection, e.g. streptococcal infection. Sounds like it's already moved into the ear.rewebster said:I think my 'cold' settled into an inner ear/Eustachian tube/throat infection--which I haven't had since a kid, and what I remember it lasts for a long time. I think this it where the headaches are coming from. I really don't like taking meds, so hot soups, hot drinks, hot showers,--I going for hot ---including curling up in a fetal position under the blankets.---
Get the flu? Have an emergency during the party and get called away, once everyone leaves, wait a bit then go back home.G01 said:Christmas is at my house this year and I'm dreading it.Usually I like to escape back to my house when I get sick of all the people. What am I supposed to do now?
You don't actually want to get sick, just pretend.G01 said:You don't think that purposely getting an illness to get out of a party isn't a sign of some mental problem?![]()
Evo said:You don't actually want to get sick, just pretend.
See, I knew it!G01 said:*cough* *cough* I think I'm actually coming down with something here Evo. I don't need to pretend. *cough* *cough*
*cough* O no... I think it's that Plague that's been going around. I'm not going to be able to make it to the Christmas party. Darn...![]()
Evo said:I'm going to have to get sick in a few days to avoid going to another "work" Christmas party. It's going to be way up north of the city, and it's what amounts to an upscale Chuck E Cheese (not that it takes much to be upscale to the Chuck). It's a family food and fun place, which means mediocre food and screaming kids running around. I've been there before and I'd rather shove bamboo under my fingernails.
*cough* *cough* Oh no! *cough*G01 said:*cough* cough*
O crap Evo. I just coughed near you. Looks like you have the Plague now as well. O well. Your going to have to miss that wonderful work christmas party...o darn...![]()
Moridin said:- Christmas is the season where most people spend the most money. In Europe and The United States, we are talking maybe thousands of billion of dollars.
- Suicide rates and depression increase manifold during the Christmas.
- Christmas makes people get more loans to pay for it.
- Business loose income and productivity over Christmas.
Is it really worth it?
jim mcnamara said:Gee, are you one of those people who hate holidays? Even so-called "primitive people" are smart enough to have several fun festivals every year. It's largely Americans that make a profession of hating this stuff. IMO.
jim mcnamara said:Gee, are you one of those people who hate holidays? Even so-called "primitive people" are smart enough to have several fun festivals every year. It's largely Americans that make a profession of hating this stuff. IMO.
Benzoate said:I think this holiday is over-the-top and hyped up by the media way too much. To me , christmas is just another excused to waste money on useless items that you will probably replaced the next time christmas comes around! To me christmas is no more different than Valentine's day : There all just another excuse to boost the economy. Not that I'm against practicing capitalism. But please see this holiday for what it is and its certainly not magical . There isn't anything magical about it capitalism at its peak. I The only people who will enjoy christmas the most are people under twelve. College students will also enjoy christmas the most because they get a month off to stray away from school for awhile to relax. I don't understand why people over 25 who don't have any children enjoy this holiday so much. You can be around family anytime of the year . In fact, I don't think I want to be around a lot of people in the winter; I want to stay in bed for awhile and not talk to anybody until their isn't an inch of snow left on the ground.
Evo said:I thought the "Festival of Lights" was a Jewish tradition.![]()