Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone have a science lab in their home?

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1

Wax

Anyone have a science lab in their home? I'm just curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Define 'science lab' :smile:

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3

Wax

How about something along the lines of Dexter's Laboratory? :tongue:

What do you have at your house? Do you do anything cool with it?

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Well it isn't technically in my home, but I have an observatory on my deck.

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

No,but I used to set up an electronic repair shop/lab in my kitchen nightly when I was refurbishing tube-driven guitar amplifiers. Of course, I used to use the same kitchen table to rebuild S&S racing carburetors when my Harley needed more "juice". My wife is a saint.

7. Jul 6, 2009 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

turbo-1's response suggests an interesting comparison: personal repair shop, personal repair garage, any room or workspace at home which one is equipped to conduct a variety of tasks dedicated to a particular practical interest. How equipped the workshop (or laboratory) is depends on what the person can afford. Home brewing, food fermenting, conventional photographic custom operations, electronic test equipment...?

Kitchens and garages might be the best rooms in the house to set up workshops and laboratories. The rest depends on what equipment one can find and afford, and how sensible making arrangements to be able to use the equipment may be.

8. Jul 7, 2009 #7

Borek

I have some analytical glass and I work (slooooowly) on the web site devoted to titration - see for example pH indicators used in titration. More pictures in other places of the site.

9. Jul 7, 2009 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would I bring my work home with me? I have much better things to do at home than demonstrate my numerous failings to my family firsthand....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook