Chemistry projects that I can create at home

In summary, there is no laboratory in my school ,looking for best chemistry project ideas for the 12th class students at minimal cost and that can be prepared at home .Students may want to try a simple titration experiment or a variation that includes different colorants.
Saba_467
TL;DR Summary
Mini Chemistry projects to work on
There is no laboratory in my school ,looking for best chemistry project ideas for the 12th class students at minimal cost and that can be prepared at home .
need suggestions on this,response would be appreciated

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have a synthesis manual for potassium ferrioxalate lying around which is actually quite simple and the "dangerous chemicals" are diluted. Makes some really nice green crystals, and tends to be succesful.

All chemicals should be available as household chemicals.

Although, I'm not sure it's such a good idea unless you have someone experienced to look over your shoulder.

Some few people like to prepare soap at home, but still this requires care and handling of caustic potash and caustic soda. Use gloves, goggles, and arrange for plans in case of accidents.

There is always the grade school standby of growing sugar crystals.

1. Dissolve granulated sugar in warm or hot water. You want a saturated solution.
  2. Mostly fill a clear glass container (drinking glass?) with the solution.
  3. Suspend a string in the solution (Cotton, Linen, etc. Not Synthetic). To keep the string away from the sides, tie one end to a safety pin, hair pin, or whatever can be found around the house. The other end is held with a stick (or whatever is handy) across the top of the glass.
  4. As the solution cools and evaporates, sugar crystals will grow on the string.
I don't remember the fine details or how long it takes, better try it first to get everything right!

A variation could be adding various colorants to multiple copies of the experiment and periodically moving growing crystals to different solutions.

You could also vary the solution depth in the different colors, showing how colors combine.

Have Fun!
Tom

It's not flashy, no crystals or explosions, etc., but I would suggest a simple titration experiment. Vinegar has acetic acid in it; but how much? You'll need to get an appropriate indicator, like litmus paper. But then you can measure everything carefully and add baking soda to balance the pH. This is the sort of real chemistry that people do. It's mostly about understanding the reactions, designing the experiment, executing it properly, and calculating an answer.

Extra credit - How much CO2 was produced when you did the experiment?

Likes Saba_467
Mayhem said:
I have a synthesis manual for potassium ferrioxalate lying around which is actually quite simple and the "dangerous chemicals" are diluted. Makes some really nice green crystals, and tends to be succesful.

All chemicals should be available as household chemicals.

Although, I'm not sure it's such a good idea unless you have someone experienced to look over your shoulder.
I will try it once thank you so much for the suggesting me

symbolipoint said:
Some few people like to prepare soap at home, but still this requires care and handling of caustic potash and caustic soda. Use gloves, goggles, and arrange for plans in case of accidents.
yeah good idea, however I don't have googles right now to prevent from accidents

Saba_467 said:
yeah good idea, however I don't have googles right now to prevent from accidents
Then don't do any chemistry experiments until you can get a pair.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes chemisttree, DrJohn and symbolipoint

1. What are some easy chemistry projects I can create at home?

There are many easy chemistry projects you can create at home, such as making homemade slime, creating a lava lamp, or making a baking soda and vinegar volcano. These projects use simple ingredients and can be done with minimal supervision.

2. What supplies do I need for a chemistry project at home?

The supplies you need for a chemistry project at home will depend on the specific project you choose. However, some common supplies include measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, food coloring, vinegar, baking soda, and other household items. You may also need safety equipment such as goggles or gloves, depending on the project.

3. Are there any chemistry projects that are safe for kids to do at home?

Yes, there are many chemistry projects that are safe for kids to do at home. Some examples include making homemade playdough, creating a rainbow in a jar, or making a lemon battery. It is important to always supervise children during chemistry experiments and to use safe and non-toxic ingredients.

4. Can I create a chemistry project at home without any special equipment?

Yes, there are many chemistry projects that can be done at home without any special equipment. Some examples include making invisible ink using lemon juice, creating a density tower with different liquids, or making a DIY pH indicator using red cabbage. These projects use everyday items and do not require any specialized equipment.

5. How can I make sure my chemistry project at home is safe?

To ensure safety during a chemistry project at home, it is important to carefully follow instructions and use appropriate safety equipment. It is also recommended to have an adult supervise the project and to work in a well-ventilated area. If using potentially hazardous materials, such as acids or strong bases, it is important to handle them with caution and dispose of them properly afterwards.