Solving Nonlinear Equations in MATLAB: Troubleshooting with fsolve Command

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter fluidman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a nonlinear equations system using Matlab's fsolve command. They have encountered an error related to the maximum number of function evaluations and are seeking help to overcome the issue. The solution involves increasing the options.MaxFunEvals parameter in the fsolve.m file.
fluidman
Hi to everyone.I were to solve a nonlinear equations system consisting of two unknown parameters and two equations.I have written a Matlab m-file to define the functions in order to solve them by embeded fsolve Matlab command.But I end up with an error occurring on the command window, when i attempt to solve the equations by typing
>> x0=[0.0157;0.01585];
>> [x, functionvalue, control, feature]=fsolve('saumrd',x0);
where saumrd is the name of the m-file in which I defined the functions.The error occurred after typing the above script on command window is as follows:

Maximum number of function evaluations reached:
increase options.MaxFunEvals.

Is ther anyone who will comment on the error and guide me to overcome this proplem?Thanking you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your documentation, you're not converging to an answer within the number of maximum iterations allowed by fsolve. Look in the fsolve.m file and increase options.MaxFunEvals.

Hi there,

It seems like you have encountered a common issue when using the fsolve command in MATLAB. The error you are receiving indicates that the maximum number of function evaluations has been reached, and the solver is unable to find a solution within the given number of evaluations.

One way to overcome this problem is to increase the number of function evaluations allowed by adjusting the options.MaxFunEvals parameter. You can do this by adding the following lines of code before calling the fsolve command:

options = optimset('MaxFunEvals', 1000); % or any other desired value
[x, functionvalue, control, feature] = fsolve('saumrd', x0, options);

This will allow the solver to perform more function evaluations and hopefully find a solution. You can also try changing other parameters such as options.TolFun and options.TolX to potentially improve the solver's performance.

Another potential solution is to try using a different solver, such as fminsearch or fmincon, which may be more suitable for your specific problem.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your nonlinear equations.

1. What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment used for numerical computation, visualization, and data analysis. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for its powerful tools and vast library of functions.

2. How can I get help with MATLAB?

There are several ways to get help with MATLAB. You can refer to the official documentation and tutorials provided by MathWorks, the company behind MATLAB. You can also join online forums and communities where you can ask for help from experienced users. Additionally, there are many resources available online such as YouTube tutorials, blogs, and online courses.

3. Can I use MATLAB for free?

Yes, there is a free version of MATLAB called MATLAB Online. It can be accessed through a web browser and includes many of the features available in the full version. However, it does have some limitations and may not be suitable for all types of projects.

4. What are some common errors I may encounter while using MATLAB?

Some common errors that users may encounter while using MATLAB include syntax errors, undefined variable errors, and out-of-memory errors. These can often be resolved by carefully checking your code and making necessary adjustments or by increasing the memory allocated for your program.

5. Can I use MATLAB for machine learning and artificial intelligence?

Yes, MATLAB has a variety of built-in tools and functions for machine learning and artificial intelligence tasks. It also has several toolboxes specifically designed for these purposes, such as the Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox and the Deep Learning Toolbox.