AP Calculus BC: Differentiability and continuity

In summary, when given a differentiable function h(x) such that h(x) = h(2-x), the only statement that must be true is statement 2, which states that h'(1)=0. This is because, as proven, if h(x) = h(2-x) then h'(x) = h'(2-x), and by providing a counter example, it is shown that conditions 1 and 3 can be violated while still satisfying the given function. Therefore, only statement 2 is guaranteed to be true.
CrazyNeutrino

Homework Statement

The function h is differentiable, and for all values of x, h(x)=h(2-x) Which of the following statements must be true?

1. Integral (from 0 to 2) h(x) dx >0
2. h'(1)=0
3.h'(0)=h'(2)=1

A. 1 only
B.2 only
C. 3 only
D. 2 &3 only
E. 1,2 &3

Homework Equations

None that I am aware of

The Attempt at a Solution

If h(x) = h(2-x) then h'(x) must also = h'(2-x)
Therefore, when x=0, h'(0)=h'(2)
However, we cannot say for sure that both = 1. Thus I eliminate any options with '3'.
Have been stuck here for a while, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
CrazyNeutrino said:
What if you look at statement 2 with this conclusion in mind ?

CrazyNeutrino said:

Homework Statement

The function h is differentiable, and for all values of x, h(x)=h(2-x) Which of the following statements must be true?

1. Integral (from 0 to 2) h(x) dx >0
2. h'(1)=0
3.h'(0)=h'(2)=1

A. 1 only
B.2 only
C. 3 only
D. 2 &3 only
E. 1,2 &3

Homework Equations

None that I am aware of

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore, when x=0, h'(0)=h'(2)
However, we cannot say for sure that both = 1. Thus I eliminate any options with '3'.
Have been stuck here for a while, please help.

I'm having a hard time agreeing with the statement that ##h'(x)=h'(2-x)##. Why don't you try and construct a function that satisfies ##h(x)=h(2-x)## and differentiate it? Then substitute ##2-x## for ##x## and see what happens to the derivative?

Agree with DIck. My mistake. Re-think ##h'(x) = h'(2-x)## (e.g using the chain rule) That way you get something much more usable for x = 1 :smile:

I tried using the chain rule. What i get is h'(x) = h'(2-x) (-1) = -h'(2-x)
When evaluated at x=1 thos gives h(1)= -h(1) which makes no sense to me

Also, I'm a bit lost as to how i would test the first condition, Inorder to do so wouldn't i need to know that h(x) lies mostly or wholly above the x axis?

CrazyNeutrino said:

No, that is not what that equation gives. Try again.

CrazyNeutrino said:
Also, I'm a bit lost as to how i would test the first condition, Inorder to do so wouldn't i need to know that h(x) lies mostly or wholly above the x axis?

There is an easy counter-example to rule out the first and third condition.

CrazyNeutrino said:

You don't get h(1) = -h(1) from the previous equation. Be careful.

CrazyNeutrino said:
What i get is h'(x) = h'(2-x) (-1) = -h'(2-x)

I'm confused. According to the chain rule its the derivative of the outer function X the derivative of the inner function. Doesn't that give h'(x) = h'(2-x)(-1)?

Yes. Now plug in x = 1. What do you get?

h'(1)= -h'(1) ?
How does this make sense?

Good. Now solve for h'(1)

Unless this always implies that h'(x) = 0? Is this reasoning correct?

It doesn't imply that h'(x) = 0. It implies h'(1) = 0. Can you show me why?

Phew, alright i think i get that part. Consequentially I understand we can eliminate condition 3 because h'0 will be -h'(2) and not h'(2) and also there is no way to say they are equal to 1 (Hope I'm right). How do you deal with the first condition though? I see no way to test the value of the integral

Okay so h'(1)=-h'(1)

2h'(1) = 0

h'(1) = 0

Is this correct?

CrazyNeutrino said:
Okay so h'(1)=-h'(1)

2h'(1) = 0

h'(1) = 0

Is this correct?

This is correct. You can eliminate conditions 1 and 3 by using a counter example. There is a certain function, whose derivative is zero, that you can use. It satisfies condition 2 but contradicts condition 1 and 3.

I'm afraid I don't follow. Wouldn't it have to be a constant function for the derivative to be zero? Why is important that the derivative of this counter example must be zero?

CrazyNeutrino said:
I'm afraid I don't follow. Wouldn't it have to be a constant function for the derivative to be zero? Why is important that the derivative of this counter example must be zero?

Yes it has to be a constant function. But which constant function exactly would you need in order for condition 1 to be contradicted?

Any negative number? Say h(x) = -1
If so, aren't we assuming the value of h(x)? How can we say for sure

That function works.

So that function is differentiable and satisfies h(x) = h(2-x), right? It also satisfies condition 2 (which you already proved it must). But it contradicts condition 1 and 3. So you can conclude that given a differentiable function h(x) such that h(x) = h(2-x), only condition 2 must be true.

CrazyNeutrino said:
If so, aren't we assuming the value of h(x)? How can we say for sure

We are giving a counter example.

Alright i follow that logic except for how h(x) = -1 satisfies h(x)=h(2-x)

If h(x) = -1 how do we know this implies h(2-x)= -1

Doesn't the condition hold for only a specific function and not any i choose?

You are defining a function h whose value h(x) is equal to -1 for every real number x. Since h(x) = -1 for every x, then surely h(x) = h(2-x).

Ohh so if I'm not mistaken, we are simply trying to find a possible function that doesn't satisfy 1 &3 but could possibly satisfy h(x)=h(2-x)

Thank you so much for your time and help! :)

More specifically, you have already proven that if a function is differentiable and h(x) =h(2-x) then condition 2 is automatically satisfied. But now you have provided a function that is differentiable and h(x) =h(2-x), but violates condition 1 and 3. So you can only conclude condition 2 must be satisfied.

It looks like h(x)=h(2-x) is possible only it is a linear function of the form y=b (a horizontal line). Can not think of any other function that satisfies this condition. As it is horizontal line the first derivative is 0 for all x. Hence II is true and as a consequence III is false. If b value is negative the definite integral will be negative hence I is false.

Vijayakrishna said:
It looks like h(x)=h(2-x) is possible only it is a linear function of the form y=b (a horizontal line). Can not think of any other function that satisfies this condition.

Think again. [tex]h(x) = (x - 1)^2 = (1 - x)^2 = (2 - x - 1)^2 = h(2 - x)[/tex] is one example. In general we must have [itex]h(x) = f(x-1)[/itex] where [itex]f[/itex] is any even function ([itex]f(-x) = f(x)[/itex]).

1. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity in AP Calculus BC?

Differentiability and continuity are closely related concepts in calculus, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function and whether there are any breaks or gaps in the graph. A function is continuous if it can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper. On the other hand, differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a given point on a function. A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined slope at that point.

2. How can I determine if a function is differentiable or not?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. To determine if a function is differentiable at a specific point, you can use the limit definition of the derivative. If the limit exists and is equal to a finite value, then the function is differentiable at that point. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the function is not differentiable at that point.

3. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. A function can be continuous if it has no breaks or gaps in its graph, but it may not have a well-defined slope at certain points. This can happen when the function has a sharp turn or corner, or when it has a vertical tangent line.

4. How do I find the derivative of a differentiable function?

To find the derivative of a differentiable function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic form. You can also use the limit definition of the derivative to find the derivative of a function at a specific point.

5. What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts in calculus. A function must be continuous in order for it to be differentiable. This means that a function cannot have any breaks or gaps in its graph if it is differentiable. However, a function can be continuous but not differentiable, as mentioned in question 3. In summary, differentiability is a stricter condition than continuity.