Ap physics questions on basic kinetics and Newtons second law

In summary, the first conversation is about a rock being dropped off a cliff and falling the first half of the distance in t1 seconds. The question asks for the value of t2/t1, and the relevant equations used are the kinematics equations. The second conversation is about a box sliding on a horizontal surface with initial speed v. The question asks for how far the box slides before coming to rest, and the relevant equations used are f=ma and Ff=Fn*mu. A free body diagram was also mentioned.
nadinelyab
1)A rock is dropped off a cliff and falls the first half of the distance into the ground in t1 seconds. If it falls the second half of the distance in t2 seconds, what is the value of t2/t1?

Relevant equations: I think the kinematics equations of d=vt+(1/2)at^2
I have no idea how to solve this please help! I tried to find t1 with the equation above and god t1=sq.rt(d/5) but i don't know if this is right :)

2)a bos of mass m slides on a horizontal surface with initial speed v. I feels no forces other than gravity and the force from the surface. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the surface is mu how far does the box slide before coming to rest?
Relevant equations: f=ma Ff=Fn*mu,
I basically drew a free body diagram so far

Physics news on Phys.org
isnt this an introductory physics question

1. What is the difference between kinetics and Newton's second law?

Kinetics is the study of motion, while Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you calculate acceleration using Newton's second law?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. The formula is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. Can you provide an example of a problem involving Newton's second law?

Sure, let's say a 5 kg object is being pushed with a force of 10 N. Using Newton's second law, we can calculate the acceleration of the object by dividing 10 N by 5 kg, which gives us an acceleration of 2 m/s^2.

4. How does inertia relate to Newton's second law?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This concept is directly related to Newton's second law because it states that an object's mass affects its acceleration. The greater the mass, the greater the inertia, and the harder it is to change the object's motion.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Newton's second law?

Yes, Newton's second law is widely used in engineering, physics, and other fields to calculate the motion and forces acting on objects. It is also applied in everyday situations, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike.