1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bow and arrows, Newtons second law of physics

1. May 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I have shot an arrow, would that arrow speed slow down due to air resistance? If so, would that mean that the the acceleration would be de-accelerating?

2. Relevant equations
    f = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    This isn't a a hw problem, this is just something I was wondering about the basic laws

Any who, If I shot an arrow where there is air but no gravity, would the arrow eventually slow down? Because i'd imagine if there was no air than the velocity/speed would increase because the acceleration wouldn't change.

Please elaborate fully, this is my first time taking physics, I just want to learn.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2015 #2
    Once you've shot the arrow, you are no-longer applying some force on it, but the air does ! It's only decelerating by the air resistance, assuming you know calculus
    F(air resistance) = -λ(some coefficient)*v(velocity) and you end up with a differential equation whose solution is v(t) = V0 * e(-λt) , speed is falling but at least he have one :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted