Aparent non-trivial geometry question

• Thread starter oakwind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of "C" in a problem involving a rectangle and two similar triangles. The formulas needed are believed to be Pythagoras theorem and trigonometry. The person asking for help has tried various approaches but is struggling to find a solution. They receive guidance on using the similar triangles to set up an equation and are informed that the solution will involve extracting the roots of a quartic polynomial.
oakwind
1. I'm looking for the value of "C". All starting information is in the first attachment.

2. Formulas needed are believed to be Pythagoras theorem and trigonometry.

3. "The attempt at a solution": This would be the second attachment. I've wracked my brain for hours and have come to the conclusion I'm either missing something simple or this will involve more than just geometry and trigonometry. The 2 red triangles were suggested by another user whom I suspect didn't look at it hard enough to realize it didn't get any closer to the solution.

What I do know:
-Sides of rectangle are 60 X 10
-Red triangles are similar
-It is solvable as there is no alternative solutions
-Angles A and B are the same

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 396
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see a pair of similar triangles in the original diagram? I can easily get an equation for C, but it's a quartic. Are you expected to extract the roots of quartics?

Sure, the two triangles in the first diagram are similar. But with only one known value for both, (4 ,10) I know of no way to derive the length of c.

I'm not sure what "extract he roots of quartic" means.

Let the length of the side below A be x. Get a relationship with C from the similar triangles. Get another one between those two (and no other unknowns) using Pythagoras.
A quartic is a polynomial with fourth powers. Extracting the roots of a polynomial means finding the solutions to polynomial = 0.

I've read what you wrote at least 20 times, as best I can tell your trying to lead me to:

4/X = C/10

This isn't a homework problem it's just something I run into on construction jobs often. I think your trying to get me to figure it out, but I guess I have holes in my education preventing me from solving it. Any way I could get a formula that could get me headed in the right direction?

oakwind said:
your trying to lead me to:
4/X = C/10
Yes. And the other equation is √(X2+42)+C=60 (ok?).
That expands to X2+16 = (60-C)2
Substituting X = 40/C from the first equation gives you a quartic in C. There is a formula for solving quartics - you'll find it on the net somewhere - but it's messy.

What is a non-trivial geometry question?

A non-trivial geometry question is a problem or concept in geometry that is not easily solved or understood, and requires a deeper level of analysis and critical thinking. It often involves complex geometric relationships and properties that are not immediately obvious.

Why are non-trivial geometry questions important?

Non-trivial geometry questions help in developing problem-solving skills and logical reasoning abilities. They also encourage critical thinking and creativity, as well as provide a deeper understanding of geometric principles and concepts.

What are some examples of non-trivial geometry questions?

Examples of non-trivial geometry questions include the proof of the Pythagorean theorem, the construction of a regular heptagon, and finding the area of a curved shape using calculus. These questions require a thorough understanding of geometric principles and techniques to solve.

How can I approach a non-trivial geometry question?

To approach a non-trivial geometry question, it is important to first understand the given problem and identify any relevant geometric principles and relationships. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use deductive reasoning to solve each part. Don't be afraid to try different approaches and think creatively.

What resources can I use to help me solve a non-trivial geometry question?

There are many resources available to help with solving non-trivial geometry questions, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a math tutor or join a study group to work through challenging problems together. Additionally, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or professor for guidance and clarification on any concepts or techniques that are not clear to you.