Applied Math Graduate School Selection

In summary, the individual is applying for graduate school in applied math or engineering science with a GPA of 3.9. They have taken 9 high level math courses and 5 high level chemistry courses, with mostly A grades. They have also done research in both math and chemistry, but have low GRE scores. They are applying for non-financial programs at schools such as Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania, Northwestern University, and others. They are unsure if they will be admitted and are considering applying to schools that do not require the GRE.
Pierce Chen
I am applying for graduate school for applied math or engineering science. I am in a normal big ten school. I am in BS math and BA chemistry. I have a rather high gpa 3.9. Till now, I have taken 9 high level math courses, only one get A-, others are A, and 5 high level chemistry courses, only one get B+, others are A. And all low level math,physics, and chemistry and computer science courses are A. Till graduation, I can take to 17 high level math courses in total. Frankly, some of these 9 courses till now are not so called hardest math courses, but indeed they cover almost every fields of math requested.
However, I get rather low GRE scores, indeed very low. General is about 146+167+3. I don't get GRE subject math score yet, but I highly doubt it. So it's a big weakness.
I have three researches, two in math, and one in chemistry. Although there is no publication, I think I do well and these professors will write letters for me.
I apply for Mater only. These programs are always non-finial programs. My preference is 'good school'. I have a list: Columbia university, university of Pennsylvania(applied math and , Northwestern university(engineering science and applied math), Georgia institute of technology, university of Michigan, University of California at San Diego and University of Utah. Also, I apply for some UK universities like Cambridge and Imperial College, they do not require GRE scores. And of course, I will apply for masters in applied math.
Do you think that I can be admitted to one of them. I think one is enough. Or I need to change to others.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell whether or not you will be admitted to one of the schools on your list. Your GPA and research experience are both impressive, but your GRE scores may be a bit of a risk. I would suggest looking into schools that do not require the GRE, as those may be more open to admitting you. It could also be beneficial to look into smaller schools with lesser known programs, as those may be more open to admitting students with lower GRE scores. Ultimately, I think it's worth a try to apply to the schools on your list, as you have a strong application overall and it's possible that you could get accepted. Good luck!

What is the importance of selecting the right graduate school for applied math?

Choosing the right graduate school for applied math is crucial because it can greatly impact your future career opportunities, research opportunities, and overall academic experience. It is important to find a program that aligns with your interests and goals, has reputable faculty and resources, and provides a supportive and stimulating learning environment.

What factors should I consider when selecting a graduate school for applied math?

Some key factors to consider when selecting a graduate school for applied math include the program's curriculum and specialization options, the faculty's research interests and expertise, the school's reputation and rankings, available funding and financial aid opportunities, and the location and cost of living.

How can I determine if a graduate program in applied math is a good fit for me?

To determine if a graduate program in applied math is a good fit for you, consider reaching out to current students and alumni, attending virtual or in-person information sessions and campus visits, and researching and comparing the program's curriculum, faculty, and opportunities to your personal interests and career goals.

What should I look for in a graduate school's faculty for applied math?

When considering a graduate school for applied math, it is important to research the faculty's research interests and publications, as well as their teaching styles and mentorship opportunities. Additionally, look for faculty who are actively involved in the field and have connections to industry or other research institutions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when selecting a graduate school for applied math?

Some common mistakes to avoid when selecting a graduate school for applied math include solely considering the program's ranking, not thoroughly researching the faculty and their research interests, and not considering the location and cost of living. It is also important to avoid rushing into a decision and not considering all of your options.