Applied Optimization Suggestions

In summary, the conversation discusses various challenging optimization problems in calculus. The first problem involves finding the minimum time required for a person to cross a river by running on land and swimming in water. Other problems mentioned include a related rates question involving a moving shadow and a rain gutter construction problem. Another problem involves minimizing the amount of wire used for two poles connected by a wire staked to the ground.
turdferguson
For a calc project, I am supposed to solve an interesting calculus word problem dealing with maximum and minimum values. The catch is that I cannot use my own book. Can anyone suggest a challenging optimization problem? So far, we've covered the problem with a person who must find the least time required to get from A to B across a river if he can run on land faster than he can swim in water. I can also rule out the pipe around a corner problem, Fermats Principle, and Snells Law. If anyone has encountered an interesting, out of the ordinary max/min problem (single variable), please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
A street light is mounted at the top of a 15ft tall pole. A man 6ft talk walks away from the pole with a speed of 5ft/sec along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 40ft from the pole?

Its a pretty interesting problem that you also have to use a bit of trig/geometry to solve.

That is more of a related rates question. I could solve for the minimum/maximm speed of the shadow, but we've dealt with that basic setup already

oops :), yeah you're right, wasn't really paying attention. Ok, how about

A rain gutter is to be constructed from sheet metal with width 30cm by bending up one-third of the sheet on each side through an angle theta. How should theta be chosen so that the rain gutter will carry the maximum amount of water (maximum cross-sectional area)?

Thats a good one (with nice geometer's sketchpad potential), but someone else is already doing it. So far, I've found this:

Two poles, one 6 meters tall and one 15 meters tall, are 20 meters apart. A length of wire is attached to the top of each pole and it is also staked to the ground somewhere between the two poles. Where should the wire be staked so that the minimum amount of wire is used?

1. What is "Applied Optimization Suggestions"?

"Applied Optimization Suggestions" refers to the process of using various techniques and methods to improve and optimize a system, process, or product. This can involve identifying and eliminating inefficiencies, maximizing resources, and improving overall performance.

2. Why is optimization important?

Optimization is important because it can lead to increased efficiency, cost savings, and improved performance. By identifying and addressing areas for improvement, optimization can help achieve better results with the same or fewer resources.

3. What are some common techniques used in optimization?

Some common techniques used in optimization include mathematical modeling, data analysis, simulation, and machine learning. These methods can help identify patterns and trends, assess different scenarios, and make data-driven decisions for improvement.

4. How can optimization benefit different industries?

Optimization can benefit different industries by providing a competitive advantage, boosting productivity and efficiency, and reducing costs. It can also help organizations respond to changes and challenges more effectively, leading to better outcomes and increased success.

5. What role do scientists play in applied optimization?

Scientists play a crucial role in applied optimization by using their expertise in various fields to develop and implement optimization strategies. They conduct research, analyze data, and design experiments to improve processes and products, contributing to advancements and innovations in various industries.