1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied problem using absolute extrema

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    Hi, I have a problem solving this question, I don't know if I am on the correct track for solving this. Suppose that the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and a cube is constant. Show that the sum of their volumes is smallest when the diameter of the sphere is equal to the length of an edge of the cube.
    Let x = length of an edge of the cube. r= radius of the sphere and V = total volume. S= total surface area. Then, [tex] V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 + x^3 [/tex]
    [tex] S=4\pi r^2 + 6x^2 [/tex] => [tex] x^2=\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6} [/tex] =>
    [tex] x^6=(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3[/tex]
    => [tex] x^3=\sqrt{(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3}[/tex]. It follows from this that [tex] V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 + \sqrt{(\frac{S}{6}-\frac{2}{3} \pi r^2)^3}[/tex]. This looks like an unyieldy equation. I have yet to differentiate V w.r.t. r, and put V'(r)=0. Do I expand it using the Binomial Theorem or am I totally wrong in my approach to the question? Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2
    Use implicit differentiation & don't bother to find x in terms of r.

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3
    Ok, I used implicit differentiation to get [tex] \frac{dV}{dr}=4 \pi r^2 + 3x^2 \frac{dx}{dr} = 0 [/tex] I cannot see anything in the question that tells me the value of dx/dr. So can someone give a hint as to where to go from here. Thanks very much.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook