Applying Load on an area - ANSYS APDL

In summary, the conversation discusses using ANSYS Mechanical and ANSYS APDL for analyses, specifically investigating the effectiveness of Solid-Shell elements. The problem being discussed is how to apply a load to an area in ANSYS APDL, with the user trying to use the SURF154 element but having trouble finding where to apply the force. They have searched for tutorials but have not found a solution. Another user suggests looking through the ANSYS help and specifically mentions the commands for applying surface loads to areas. The original user then mentions that they were able to get around the problem by applying a negative pressure on the surface.
50Cent
Hi,

Have been using ANSYS Mechanical to conduct some analyses, but am now moving to ANSYS APDL to investigate the effectiveness of Solid-Shell elements.

However, I've run into a problem. I can't figure out how to apply a load to an area!

I have been playing around with the SURF154 element (as i have a 3D model) but can't see where to apply the 250,000N force required.

Have tried seaching the web for tutorials, but no luck :( Does anyone know how to do this?

Any help is much appreciated
Many Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you look through the ANSYS help?

Specifically under "Mechanical APDL" / "Basic Analysis Guide" / "2. Loading" / "2.5 Applying Loads" / "2.5.7 Surface Loads", Table 2.6: Commands for Applying Surface Loads.

Commands for applying surface loads to areas include SFA, SFALIST, SFADELE, SFGRAD

Ahh right, no didnt see that. I got around the problem by applying a negative pressure (as I knew the area the force was being applied over) on the surface.

Thanks for the comment though!

1. What is ANSYS APDL?

ANSYS APDL (ANSYS Parametric Design Language) is a scripting language used in the ANSYS software for finite element analysis. It allows users to automate tasks, create and manipulate geometry, and apply loads and boundary conditions to models.

2. How do I apply a load on an area in ANSYS APDL?

To apply a load on an area in ANSYS APDL, you will need to first create a defined area using the ASEL command. Then, you can use the DSYS command to apply the desired load type and magnitude to the selected area.

3. What types of loads can be applied using ANSYS APDL?

ANSYS APDL allows for the application of various types of loads, including forces, pressures, moments, and temperature gradients. These loads can be applied in a specific direction and can also vary over time.

4. Can I apply a load to only a portion of my model in ANSYS APDL?

Yes, you can apply a load to a specific portion of your model by using the ASEL command to select the desired elements or nodes. You can also use the CMSEL command to select a particular component or SYS command to apply the load to a specific coordinate system.

5. How do I check if the applied loads are within the acceptable range for my model?

You can use the STATUS command in ANSYS APDL to view a summary of the applied loads and their magnitudes. You can also use the ETABLE command to create a table of the load values and compare them to the acceptable range for your model.