Applying the Mean Value Theorem to sequences of function

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Mean Value Theorem to a problem and how it may not help solve the problem. Suggestions are made to apply the theorem on a different interval and use the f'_n(c) - f'_m(c) term in the triangle inequality. The conversation also mentions the age of one of the speakers, and they eventually come to a solution using a variation of the MVT and the use of uniform convergence.
jdinatale
As usual, I typed up the problem and my attempt in LaTeX:

MVT.png

Maybe I'm not applying the MVT correctly, but my result does not seem to help me solve the problem in anyway. What are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you shouldn't apply the mean value theorem on [a,b] but rather on [x,x0]??

micromass said:
Maybe you shouldn't apply the mean value theorem on [a,b] but rather on [x,x0]??

Thanks, that would help. Ok I tried your suggestion and here is the result. The problem is now making use of the [itex]f'_n(c) - f'_m(c)[/itex] since they do not appear in the triangle inequality. And also, I am not using the assumption that [itex]f'_n[/itex] converges uniformly.

MVT-1.png

In your triangle inequality, you have a term

[tex]|(f_n(x)-f_m(x))-(f_n(x_0)-f_m(x_0))|[/tex]

Isn't this the same as the numerator of what you got after applying the mean value theorem??

micromass said:
In your triangle inequality, you have a term

[tex]|(f_n(x)-f_m(x))-(f_n(x_0)-f_m(x_0))|[/tex]

Isn't this the same as the numerator of what you got after applying the mean value theorem??

Well, no, it's slightly different:

[tex]|f_n(x) + f_m(x) - f_n(x_0) - f_m(x_0)|[/tex]

We need it to be [tex]f_n(x) - f_m(x)[/tex] instead of +

Oh btw, I noticed in your profile that it says you are 15. Is that true? Because that's incredible that you know so much math at that age, really astonishing.

Oh, how did you get that + in the mean value theorem? That isn't correct. The mean value theorem says that

[tex](f_n-f_m)^\prime(c)(x-x_0)=(f_n-f_m)(x)-(f_n-f_m)(x_0)[/tex]

You seemed to have applied the mean-value theorem to [itex]f_n+f_m[/itex]...

Micromass, I believe I have found the solution! Here is my completed proof, what do you think?

MVT-2.png

Hmm, you know that that c is depend on n and m right?? You act like there is only one c, but there are multiple c's.

And to be sure you really get it: where exactly do you need uniform convergence of [itex](f^\prime_n)_n[/itex]??

micromass said:
Hmm, you know that that c is depend on n and m right?? You act like there is only one c, but there are multiple c's.

And to be sure you really get it: where exactly do you need uniform convergence of [itex](f^\prime_n)_n[/itex]??

Oh, well it was my understanding that the c was only dependent on the [tex][x, x_0][/tex]. I guess I didn't understand that c could be different for different m's and n's.

We need uniform convergence of [itex](f^\prime_n)_n[/itex] because we have to use the Cauchy Criterion for Uniform Convergence.

Well, since my proof is incorrect then, could you point me in the right direction so that I can try to complete this?

The mean value theorem on a function actually implies:

[tex]|g(a)-g(b)|\leq |a-b| \sup_{c\in [a,b]}|g^\prime(c)|[/tex]

I suggest you use this. It will become apparent where the uniform convergence is used.

micromass said:
The mean value theorem on a function actually implies:

[tex]|g(a)-g(b)|\leq |a-b| \sup_{c\in [a,b]}|g^\prime(c)|[/tex]

I suggest you use this. It will become apparent where the uniform convergence is used.

I guess I'm not quite sure I understand. My book has no mention of this variation to the MVT. Are you certain that it is necessary to solve this problem?

jdinatale said:
I guess I'm not quite sure I understand. My book has no mention of this variation to the MVT.

It's quite easy to prove from the MVT.

Are you certain that it is necessary to solve this problem?

I think it's the easiest and cleanest way...

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus which states that for a given function, there exists at least one point in the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem applied to sequences of functions?

In the context of sequences of functions, the Mean Value Theorem states that for a sequence of functions that converge uniformly, there exists a point where the derivative of each function in the sequence is equal to the derivative of the limiting function at that point.

What is the significance of applying the Mean Value Theorem to sequences of functions?

Applying the Mean Value Theorem to sequences of functions allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of a sequence of functions based on the behavior of its limiting function. It can also help us prove convergence or divergence of the sequence.

What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to be applicable to sequences of functions?

The Mean Value Theorem for sequences of functions requires that the functions in the sequence are differentiable, the sequence of derivatives converges uniformly, and the limiting function is differentiable.

What are some real-world applications of the Mean Value Theorem for sequences of functions?

The Mean Value Theorem for sequences of functions has applications in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the study of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, in optimization problems, and in the analysis of data trends over time.