1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying the Mean Value Theorem

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    Hey,
    I know the basic definition of the MVT, but I'm having alot of trouble applying it to this problem. I would greatly appreciate any kind of help or guidance.

A graph of the derivative of f(x) is displayed below. Information about the function f(x) is known only for -2.5 < x < 3.5. Also f(-2) = 1. Consider the graph carefully, and consider the information in both the numbers and the shapes of the graph (both "quantitative" and "qualitative" information).

the graph:
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5224/graphfx6.jpg

a) Explain why -2 < f(0) < -1. Look carefully at the graph and make estimates using the MVT. Explain the steps of your reasoning in detail.
    b) Explain why f(3) > 4 +f(1). Again, use the MVT and explain your reasoning in detail.
    c) How big and how small can f(1) - f(0) be?
    d) Use the information in a), b), and c) to explain why f(3) must be positive.
    e) Explain why f(x) = 0 must have a solution between 0 and 3. Use the IVT (intermediate value th.) and the
    information obtained in previous parts of this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Starting from x = -2, how does f(x) behave, can you tell by looking at f'(x)?

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    well from x=-2 to about x=.5, f'(x) is negative which means f(x) is decreasing and f(x) is increasing on approx [0.5,3.5] ..do i do something with the first derivative test? I just dont know what the question is asking for or atleast what I have to find to answer it

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4
    and the critical point is at 0.5 if thats of any use?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?