1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Appropriate arrangement of light meter circuit with LDR and resistor question:

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you have a series 'light-meter' circuit with a cell EMF of 12V that must include both an LDR and a resistor only (in series), which way would you put them around to make this most effective and why?

~~~That is, would you have LDR then resistor, or resistor then LDR? And what would be the reasoning for this.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

If you have a series 'light-meter' circuit with a cell EMF of 12V, wouldn't the appropriate arrangement of a resistor and an LDR be to have the positive end of the battery connected to the LDR and then the resistor, as opposed to having a resistor and then LDR? I can't work out why though.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Caiti, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I don't see any "meter" in your light-meter :smile: Perhaps the answer lies in knowing how one is to interpret the "reading" from this device.

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    Hey,
    While I totally agree with your comment, this is a question I've pulled straight from a book of them - and there is definitely no additional information there. I'm assuming the exact way of measuring light was to be disregarded; however I'm obviously not certain about this.

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Well, why don't you propose a method of interpreting a 'reading' from the circuit? What kinds of things might be measured in an operating circuit? Do you want your reading to be larger when there's more light, or less light? What varies in an LDR with changes in light, and how does it vary?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook