1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximate the Prob. in a normal distribution of a binomial

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    e7nfT.png

2. Relevant equations

0XQcA.png

JV9hG.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    lSxHT.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    See, i was having trouble determining when to use the Continuity Correction in the problems, and i guess i still am. but i was able to match my answer with the given one from the back of the book when I stopped using it. however, the second problem doesn't match, even after using the new formula and the new percentage.

I got .3264 and they got .3974

Where am i going wrong here? anyone?

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should NOT use the continuity correction in (a), because you are NOT approximating a discrete distribution by a continuous one; you are evaluating a probability for a truly continuous random variable. So, you get a slightly wrong probability in (a), then you use that incorrect value in (b).

I get values different from yours and (presumably) from the book's. For (b) I get: exact probability = 0.374928, normal approx with continuity correction = 0.396911, normal approx without continuity correction = 0.472994.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook