Approximating unsolvable recursion relations

In summary, the conversation discusses a complicated recursion relation with no closed form solution. The relation involves constants and constraints on the values of the function being summed. The participants discuss possible methods for approximating the sum, including using a z-transform and an equation for a special case found on a website.
Hoplite
I have a complicated recursion replation, which I'm sure is unsolvable. (By "unsolvable" I mean that there is no closed form solution expressing [tex]\xi_1[/tex], [tex]\xi_2[/tex], [tex]\xi_3[/tex], etc. in terms of [tex]\xi_0[/tex].) It goes

[tex]\frac{(k+4)!}{k!}\xi_{k+4} +K_1 (k+2)(k+1)\xi_{k+2}+ [ K_2 k(k-1) +K_3] \xi_{k} +K_4 \xi_{k-2} =0, [/tex]

for [tex]k=0,1,2,3...[/tex], where [tex]K_1[/tex], [tex]K_2[/tex], [tex]K_3[/tex] and [tex]K_4[/tex] are constants. However, what I do know about the [tex]\xi_k[/tex]'s is that

[tex]\sum_{k_{even}} \xi_{k}=\sum_{k_{odd}} \xi_k=1,[/tex]

and that

[tex]\sum_{k_{even}}k \xi_{k}=\sum_{k_{odd}}k \xi_k=0.[/tex]

[tex]\xi_k[/tex] is also zero for all [tex]k<0[/tex]. What I want to do is produce an approximation of the sum for

[tex]S(z) =\sum_{k=0}^\infty \xi_k z^k.[/tex]

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly that type of recursion relation is solvable. Somehow you take differences of consecutive equations until you have
[tex]\sum_1^N a_i\xi_{k+i}=0[/tex]
and then you use a geometric series as the trial solution. Not sure if the degree of that polynomial becomes too large.

But maybe the contraints help.

Hoplite said:
[tex]\sum_{k_{even}} \xi_{k}=\sum_{k_{odd}} \xi_k=1,[/tex]
What do you mean? Isn't S=2 then?

Gerenuk said:
What do you mean? Isn't S=2 then?
Oops, sorry. I had the wrong equation for S. I've fixed it now.

Using something which I think is called z-transform you get
[tex]S''''+(a+bx^2)S''+(c+dx^2)S=e_5x^5+\dotsb+e_0[/tex]
I guess that's your initial problem in reverse :)
Anyone knows how to solve this? I've found
http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0406.pdf
but that only works for a special contraints on the parameters.

Last edited:
This series will converge really quickly - this is definitely an entire function. It's probably just as good to deal with the recursive relation. Even if you had a closed form, it wouldn't help you to evaluate the function.

Do you need a closed form, or do you just think you need it? For the purpose of it being a solution to an ODE, this is just as good.

Gerenuk said:
Using something which I think is called z-transform you get
[tex]S''''+(a+bx^2)S''+(c+dx^2)S=e_5x^5+\dotsb+e_0[/tex]
I guess that's your initial problem in reverse :)
That's correct. In fact my equation is

[tex]S''''+(a+bx^2)S''+(c+dx^2)S=0,[/tex]

with some inhomogenious boundary conditions.

Sorry for messing around and confusing people :)
But maybe the special case from that webpage helps a bit :)

1. What is the purpose of approximating unsolvable recursion relations?

The purpose of approximating unsolvable recursion relations is to find a solution or an estimate for a recursive problem that cannot be solved analytically. It is a way to approach complex problems and get a close enough solution without having to find an exact solution which may be impossible.

2. How does one go about approximating unsolvable recursion relations?

One approach to approximating unsolvable recursion relations is by using numerical methods such as iteration, interpolation, or numerical integration. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, solvable parts and then using algorithms and mathematical techniques to approximate the solution.

3. What are some common challenges in approximating unsolvable recursion relations?

One challenge in approximating unsolvable recursion relations is choosing the appropriate numerical method and parameters to use for a particular problem. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy and stability of the approximation, as small errors in the initial conditions or parameters can lead to significant changes in the final solution.

4. Are there any limitations to approximating unsolvable recursion relations?

Yes, there are limitations to approximating unsolvable recursion relations. One limitation is that the approximation may not always provide an exact solution, but rather a close estimate. Another limitation is that the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the complexity of the problem increases.

5. In what fields or industries is approximating unsolvable recursion relations commonly used?

Approximating unsolvable recursion relations is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. It is also used in various industries, including finance, economics, and data analysis, to solve complex problems and make predictions.