Approximation sin(x) taylor Series and Accuracy

In summary: RseSB1c2VzIHRoZSByZWFsIHZhbHVlIGlzIGEgZnJvbSB0aGUgVGF5bG9yIHNlcmllcyBmb3Igc2luKHgpLiBUaGlzIGFwcHJvcHJpYXRpb24gaXMgYWNjdXJhY3RlZCB0byBhK) In summary, one can use the approximation sin(x) = x to calculate the oscillation period of a simple gravity pendulum with a maximal angle of deflection up to 10%, 1%, or 0.1% accuracy. This can be
engboysclub

Homework Statement

One uses the approximation sin(x) = x to calculate the oscillation period of a simple gravity pendulum. Which is the maximal angle of deflection (in degree) such that this approximation is accurate to a) 10%, b) 1%, c) 0.1%. You can estimate the accuracy by using the next nonvanishing term of the Taylor series

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
by using the next nonvanishing term of the Taylor series
You could determine this term to begin.

Afterwards: How do sin(x) and x differ if the approximation is accurate to 10%?

I'm not really sure - I know what Taylor series is - Graphically and what it does but I don't know how to implement it or work it out.

How do i determine the term ?

How do I calculate the accuracy ?

Look in your script/book/wikipedia for the taylor series. You cannot solve the problem without any knowledge about taylor series.

How do I calculate the accuracy ?
If the real value is 0.5 and the approximation is 0.45 (arbitrary numbers), what is the relative deviation?

engboysclub said:
I'm not really sure - I know what Taylor series is - Graphically and what it does but I don't know how to implement it or work it out.

The thing to do is just to START: write down the Taylor expansion for sin(x). Stop agonizing over it, and just use what you have been taught; that will get you part way towards the solution. Then, if you are stuck at a later stage, you can ask a more pointed and more meaningful question.

RGV

What is the Taylor Series for approximating sin(x)?

The Taylor Series for approximating sin(x) is:
sin(x) = x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...

What is the accuracy of the Taylor Series approximation for sin(x)?

The accuracy of the Taylor Series approximation for sin(x) depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, since the series is an infinite sum, it will never be an exact match for the actual sin(x) function.

How many terms should be used in the Taylor Series for accurate approximation?

The number of terms needed for accurate approximation varies depending on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, using more terms will result in a more accurate approximation, but it is also important to consider the computational time and resources required for calculating a larger number of terms.

What is the relationship between the Taylor Series and the Maclaurin Series?

The Maclaurin Series is a special case of the Taylor Series where the center of the series is at x=0. It is the Taylor Series at x=0 for a given function. Therefore, the Maclaurin Series for sin(x) is simply:
sin(x) = x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...

How can the Taylor Series approximation for sin(x) be improved?

The Taylor Series approximation for sin(x) can be improved by using more terms in the series or by using a different approximation method, such as using a more accurate formula for calculating the coefficients. Additionally, using a smaller interval for x values can also improve the accuracy of the approximation.