1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Appying a force bar + Young's Modulus + Force Applied

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    h = 17.2 cm
    A = 12.32cm2
    E = 410 MPA
    Fapp = 6130 N
    lV0euea.png
    2. Relevant Equations
    Stress
    σ = F/A where F is force applied and A is cross sectional area of side where force is applied

Strain
    ε = ΔL/L where L is the length of the bar and ΔL is the change of length of bar

Young's Modulus
    E = stress/strain = FL/AΔL

3. My attempt at solution

We are solving first solving for ΔL which I got as 0.864cm and then we subtract that from 17.2cm which I got as 16.34cm

I'm not sure if my thought process is correct or how to approach this question. What is Young's modulus ? Am I approaching the problem correctly? Am I looking for the right variable? Did I get the correct answer ? Just need reassurance. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just have a bunch of numbers where a problem statement should be. What problem are you supposed to be solving? What is the text which should go with this data?

If you don't know what Young's modulus is, look it up! You've got the whole internet at your disposal.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    oops. I forgot to upload a photo

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get a different number. Please post all your working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted