Arc formula without the use of radius and angle

In summary, the conversation is about the creation of a formula for the arc length of a circle without using the radius or angle. The formula is in terms of distance between starting and ending points of the arc (x) and the breadth of the arc (distance between midpoints). There is a discussion about publishing the formula and concerns about copyright privileges. Ultimately, the conversation ends without the formula being shared or published.
Danishk Barwa
I had created a formula on arc of a circle...How can I publish it ..So that people see it and decide is it important or not.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are exactly three possibilities: either it is wrong, well known, or useless.

• Love
Likes Klystron and FactChecker
Danishk Barwa said:
I had created a formula on arc of a circle...
Out of idle curiosity, what is your formula?

I assume that you are talking about a formula for the arc length that does not use the radius or angle. My first question is how one can even specify an arc without the radius and the angle (in one form or another)?

Likes DaveE and fresh_42
FactChecker said:
I assume that you are talking about a formula for the arc length that does not use the radius or angle. My first question is how one can even specify an arc without the radius and the angle (in one form or another)?
My formula is in terms of distance between starting and ending point of arc(x). And breadth of arc (distance between mid point x and mid point

Mark44 said:
Please suggest me how to publish it

What is your concern about showing it here? Do you think there is some copyright privilege that you will give up and that someone will steal it?

Mark44 said:
Danishk Barwa said:
My formula is in terms of distance between starting and ending point of arc(x). And breadth of arc (distance between mid point x and mid point
So ##x## is the length of the chord across the arc? Calling the distance from its midpoint to the centre of the circle ##p##, I make the arc length $$2\sqrt{(x/2)^2+p^2}\tan^{-1}(x/2p)$$

FactChecker said:
What is your concern about showing it here? Do you think there is some copyright privilege that you will give up and that someone will steal it?
Yes

Ibix said:
So ##x## is the length of the chord across the arc? Calling the distance from its midpoint to the centre of the circle ##p##, I make the arc length $$2\sqrt{(x/2)^2+p^2}\tan^{-1}(x/2p)$$
No..That's not correct ...You please tell me how and where to publish it

Danishk Barwa said:
You please tell me how and where to publish it
Since you do not wish to divulge the formula you have created, we have no way of discerning whether it is useful or original.

Thread closed.

1. What is an arc formula without the use of radius and angle?

An arc formula without the use of radius and angle is a mathematical equation that calculates the length of an arc on a circle without using the traditional measurements of radius and angle.

2. How is an arc formula without the use of radius and angle derived?

The arc formula without the use of radius and angle is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What are the advantages of using an arc formula without the use of radius and angle?

The main advantage of using an arc formula without the use of radius and angle is that it allows for more flexibility in calculations, as it does not rely on specific measurements. This can be especially useful in situations where the radius or angle is unknown or difficult to measure accurately.

4. Can an arc formula without the use of radius and angle be used for any type of arc?

Yes, an arc formula without the use of radius and angle can be used for any type of arc, as long as the measurements of the arc are known. This includes both minor and major arcs on a circle.

5. Are there any limitations to using an arc formula without the use of radius and angle?

While an arc formula without the use of radius and angle can be useful in certain situations, it does have its limitations. It may not be as accurate as traditional methods and may not work for more complex curves or arcs on non-circular shapes.